Menu

Scheduling help needed - History, CLE, etc.

Frontier Mom

OK. I have most of my subjects planned but this is where I get bogged down.

First with CLE. I have two dc's doing CLE reading (5 units) and Science ( 10 units). Can anyone tell me how you planned those? I am assuming reading is meant for one semester as I would like to be done with that by Christmas.

Second with History. I will be using a combo of SOTW 3 and BF for American/World History this year. I will have my youngest three using this and I have tons of books I would like them to read also. Should I schedule each book, put them in a basket per child, make a list per child or something else? I get so overwhelmed in this particular area and if I have no plan we do no History, IYKWIM.

I already have BF and the books so I would like to use their guide mixed in with SOTW 3. Should I use something like the Semester Planner at donnayoung.org? Need some help here.

Thanks in advance. I only have these to go and my planning is complete!!

We use CLE math, and I sat down the other night to plan it out for the year--and pretty much, with math, we have to do it nearly every day if we were to fit it into 9 months. We will start in August and go through May and can get the 170 lessons done doing it 4 days per week.

Anyhow--if you only have 5 lightunits, it is a semester class (are you doing "I Wonder"? I know for sure that's a semester; it's for 2nd semester of 1st grade). I think the general plan with 10 lightunits is to do one lightunit per month. But if you do school for 9 months, you would have to up it a little--

hth

Betsy

OK. I have most of my subjects planned but this is where I get bogged down.

First with CLE. I have two dc's doing CLE reading (5 units) and Science ( 10 units). Can anyone tell me how you planned those? I am assuming reading is meant for one semester as I would like to be done with that by Christmas.

Second with History. I will be using a combo of SOTW 3 and BF for American/World History this year. I will have my youngest three using this and I have tons of books I would like them to read also. Should I schedule each book, put them in a basket per child, make a list per child or something else? I get so overwhelmed in this particular area and if I have no plan we do no History, IYKWIM.

I already have BF and the books so I would like to use their guide mixed in with SOTW 3. Should I use something like the Semester Planner at donnayoung.org? Need some help here.

Thanks in advance. I only have these to go and my planning is complete!!

My children are big readers, so we've done CLE reading plus various childrens' novels. My older one did CLE Reading 5 and 6 this year plus Sonlight reading (we finished Core 3 and most of Core 4), and my younger one did CLE Reading 3 plus the same Sonlight readers.

You could also do a semester of CLE Reading, and then novel studies with a Logos Upper Grammar Literature Guide or something from Progeny Press.

Last year, we did CLE Reading 4th and 6th and it took most of the year because we didn't do it every day. Probably only 2 or 3 times a week. Just slow and steady.

Brindee--I think that for my 7th grader it well covers literature, vocabulary, comprehension and even some good logic. He will do some Christian Novel Studies also and he enjoys those. He likes this program! But, he loves to read.

My children are big readers, so we've done CLE reading plus various childrens' novels. My older one did CLE Reading 5 and 6 this year plus Sonlight reading (we finished Core 3 and most of Core 4), and my younger one did CLE Reading 3 plus the same Sonlight readers.

You could also do a semester of CLE Reading, and then novel studies with a Logos Upper Grammar Literature Guide or something from Progeny Press.

Thanks for the great idea. In fact, I think I have some Progeny guides here so I will pull them out for the second semester.