Menu

Since when is the Department of State in charge of movie ratings?

When we went to see HP we saw a sign stating that is was illegal for anyone under 18 to watch an R rated movie. No big deal. We didn't think anything of it until we noticed that it was issued by the Department of State on their letterhead complete with symbol. :001_huh:

W. T. H. ?

I'm accustomed to seeing the FBI notice at the end of the movie (I mean, geez, they are responsible for federal crimes and all...) but the State Department? Gah. I'll have to look for that when I go see it...

(I'm not a' liking where the US gvt is a' headin')

a

W. T. H. ?

I'm accustomed to seeing the FBI notice at the end of the movie (I mean, geez, they are responsible for federal crimes and all...) but the State Department? Gah. I'll have to look for that when I go see it...

(I'm not a' liking where the US gvt is a' headin')

a

It was a sign posted at the box office where you buy the tickets.

When we went to see HP we saw a sign stating that is was illegal for anyone under 18 to watch an R rated movie. No big deal. We didn't think anything of it until we noticed that it was issued by the Department of State on their letterhead complete with symbol. :001_huh:

It isn't illegal for someone under 18 to watch an R rated movie, or so I thought. NC-17 is NO under 18 and R means must have a parent, right?

I think it's just a way of throwing around an indirect connection to imply authority to kids who don't take authority very seriously. From what I can gather, the MPAA lobbies the FCC through the US Dept of State and the two are only loosely connected. Furthermore, it is not illegal for someone under 18 to see an R movie. In some jurisdictions, it is illegal for a theater to allow someone under 18 who is unaccompanied by an adult to see a rated R movie. The child who snuck in experiences no legal ramifications. The theater is using slippery language to make kids believe they will go to jail if they sneak into a rated R movie.

Barb

ETA: Dealing with both domestic and foreign regulations when trying to rate movies is the only reason the State Dept. is involved at all. They seem to be in a guidance role rather than an authoritative role. I am willing to bet the MPAA or the theater itself is misusing the seal without the knowledge or consent of the State Dept.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

It isn't illegal for someone under 18 to watch an R rated movie, or so I thought. NC-17 is NO under 18 and R means must have a parent, right?

Yeah, we have no issue with the ratings themselves it was that it was that it came from the state dept that bothered us.

I think it's just a way of throwing around an indirect connection to imply authority to kids who don't take authority very seriously. From what I can gather, the MPAA lobbies the FCC through the US Dept of State and the two are only loosely connected. Furthermore, it is not illegal for someone under 18 to see an R movie. In some jurisdictions, it is illegal for a theater to allow someone under 18 who is unaccompanied by an adult to see a rated R movie. The child who snuck in experiences no legal ramifications. The theater is using slippery language to make kids believe they will go to jail if they sneak into a rated R movie.

Barb

ETA: Dealing with both domestic and foreign regulations when trying to rate movies is the only reason the State Dept. is involved at all. They seem to be in a guidance role rather than an authoritative role. I am willing to bet the MPAA or the theater itself is misusing the seal without the knowledge or consent of the State Dept.

Thanks. This is somwhat helpful. We did ask questions of management there but they really weren't able to help us at all.

Isn't it the government who imposes & enforces the rating system? Hasn't it always been? They forced the movies into it in the late 50s (if I remember correctly) & btw... movies got dirtier b/c they now could push the bar (another discussion).

They have updated it multiple times, but I thought it has always been the gov't who mandated the ratings, etc.