Menu

Wild bird help

We have a bird nest in a planter by our front door and yesterday I saw one of the babies had somehow been freed from the nest. I am not sure what kind of birds they are (small, grey and brown, very fluffy), and I was set to let nature take its course but ds was upset that the baby might die and I placed it back in the nest. Against all good judgement.

It appears as though the baby didn't make it through the night, and now he is still in the nest with two healthy babies. These are very young birds, they still haven't opened their eyes and only have downy hair instead of feathers.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I leave the dead bird in the nest and let the parents take care of it? I'm afraid it will harm the other baby birds or put off the parents from coming back to the nest (the parent birds were there again last night taking care of the other babies). We have become so attached to these birds, I want to make sure the other babies survive.

about the avatar, not the baby bird. :lol:

I would leave the baby in there for the parent birds to deal with. They will probably push it out, so try to find it before ds.

You can see if you have a local wildlife rescue that you can call for advice. Last month we accidentally knocked two baby birds from their nest. They were further along than yours. We tried putting them back in the nest 3 times, but they just kept jumping out, or the parents kicked them out. Not sure. I never saw one again, but the next day I found one half-dead and put it back in the nest, but it died and I found it on the ground. It was very sad.

Thanks for the help!

I just went out to check (I was going to call the wild animal rescue office) and the bird has disappeared! He is not in the nest, on the ground, or anywhere in the vicinity of the nest. Is it possible for the parent birds to pick it up and carry it away? They are such small birds it hardly seems possible.

These are the silliest birds. I still can't believe they made their nest right next to our front door at knee height. It's almost as if they wanted me to go poking around there home.;)

My guess is it was pushed out and a cat came along...

Our neighbor had a mockingbird make a nest in their wreath on their front door. Another neighbor's cat ate all the babies. That mama bird harassed that cat for weeks! She would dip down at the cat and hop up to her and peck her tail and back. It was the funniest thing. I felt bad for the poor bird, but wow - I didn't know birds held grudges.