Menu

handwriting/pencil grip help

would love some insight into how to help my son (6, first grade) have a better pencil grip. He cannot hold it right without an extra grip. His first finger, kind of caves in so he's real rigid and tires very easily. So I've tried various pencil grips, none seem to work well. The triangular ones are best, but every one I've gotten seems to slip off the pencil too easily. The big molded ones are ok, but doesn't help him to have the best form.

In all, he likes to write and has great penmanship for his age. But I'd like to help him to have a more relaxed better grip so he can write longer without getting frustrated.

Anyone have any suggestions or products that might help him?

I agree with the suggestion for the Writing Claw. It was the only grip that helped my ds finally understand what a proper pencil grip is supposed to be like. He only had to use it for a few weeks. Still slips up sometimes, but it's much better. I am glad we got it, I think it was worth the money, after trying every other grip I could find.

The Claw www.writingclaw.com/ worked for DD. After she got used to holding a pencil correctly we switched to just a plain cushion.

Ok, that looks great, but none of the stores listed are even in my state! (Pennsylvania).

The Stetro pencil grip comes very highly recommended.

http://www.theraproducts.com/index.p...oducts_id=4322

we have this one but it doesn't seem to be tight enough and always slips down close to the tip when he's writing.

The same thing happens with this one:

My ds used a pencil grip like the one below:

http://www.theraproducts.com/index.p...1f943df1a82f26 [/qoute]

Are our pencils too small diameter or something? I got just regular #2 pencils at Wally world... are cheap-o ones just smaller diameter? :001_huh:

The other thing I do is usually tell him that he only has to use the pencil grip and proper hand form when he's writing for school work, or writing a letter or something formal. I don't make him hold things right when he's drawing. But esp. now that we're taking a summer break from formal school, usually if he has a pencil in his hands it's for drawing...which he does a lot.

I just don't want to turn drawing time which he loves into something that frustrates him, but it's not helping him to have good grip.

What helped ds was to just break all of his crayons in half. We still use only broken crayons around here.

When the writing object is small it forces the child to use the tips of his fingers to grip it instead of using his whole hand.

I also told him this story. The mama and the papa (index and thumb) sit in the front of the car and the kids (middle, ring and pinky) sit in the back.

I ordered the writing claw from the website. DD actually loves her little bitty pencils when I make them short. It doesn't always work, but it is worth a shot.

Maybe try getting some pencils from a teaching supply store along with a variety of grips. Then if the grips don't fit at least you can complain logically. :D

would love some insight into how to help my son (6, first grade) have a better pencil grip. He cannot hold it right without an extra grip. His first finger, kind of caves in so he's real rigid and tires very easily. So I've tried various pencil grips, none seem to work well. The triangular ones are best, but every one I've gotten seems to slip off the pencil too easily. The big molded ones are ok, but doesn't help him to have the best form.

Anyone have any suggestions or products that might help him?

Keep in mind that developmentally it is very HARD for any k/1st grader to learn penmanship using adult pencils and college rule paper. Especially boys! When I taught the lower grades like 1st grade, we'd use the big ol' CHUNKY thick primary pencils (no erasers) for the little ones to grip on and learn to write. Would this help?

http://www.drawyourworld.com/Catalog/HTML/penciltri.html

Don't make your son feel bad with learning how to properly hold a pencil. It takes time. Sometimes all the way up to 4th/5th grade... usually bad habits pop in. LOL Here is something you can print out and keep for reference on the proper grip:

http://www.drawyourworld.com/grip.html

I am glad to hear he loves to write! Make sure you use the primary rule paper with LARGE rows.

Edited by tex-mex