Menu

We got our Galilescope! I have questions...

First, if you bought one, the instructions in the box S.U.C.K.

Go to the Galileoscope page and download the updated instructions. They are much better.

I know nothing about astronomy. How do I figure out where the planets are tonight? Any good websites?

I love, love, love my Galileo telescope but the directions that come with it are pathetic!

I never head out without my planisphere. I think it is essential for us amateur astronomers. Do you have one?

I didn't know what that was, so I googled it and YES! I do have one, but I have no idea how to use it. Guess I better get started.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the opportunity to use one of these a few nights ago. It's amazing for the price. If you've not found info on this yet (I know you posted a half a month ago. LOL!), here is something that might help:

Go to http://stellarium.org/

You can download a interactive sky chart--it will show you where the planets are.

Jupiter will be rising in the southeast around 10:00. It will be the largest object in that sky. If you wait until it is a ways above the horizon, you will get a better view of it in your telescope. If you can mount your scope on a camera tripod, or if you can set it up so that it is leaning against something and not wiggling, you will get a lot better view. The scope I used had the Copernican lens in (Isn't that the other lens? It is better than the Galilean lens, right?), and we were able to see the moons of Jupiter. There are 4 of them that can be seen, but sometimes they are in front of or behind the planet. You see them all lined up in a straight line--they can be on one side or lined up on both sides. Tonight we have a half moon--so everything is going to be washed out. If you try after full moon sometime, it will be easier to see things with your scope.

Saturn is in the evening sky, but it is so far away and so close to the horizon that is is hard to see in a bigger scope. But in the morning you can see Venus and Mars--look them up on Stellarium.

You can also see any objects that could also be seen with binoculars. Do you know any of the constellations?

HTH,

Jean

I can't see anything with it. I'm wondering if dh put it together wrong.

Thanks for the info. I hope I can use it, eventually.

Did you try setting it up during the day & focusing on objects with it then? It is a bit tricky. There's a real sweet spot & you have to get your eye just right. I found I was trying to use it like binoculars & get my eye right on it but then all I saw was black - just like those hours spent in biology lab where I couldn't see anything except my own eyeball!

Since it was daytime, I knew something was not right :D You have to pull back a bit - maybe a cm? & then things come into view. We don't have a proper tripod at the moment but dh rigged up a bracket on a 5 foot step ladder. At night we need to sit on a little stool under it.

Without a tripod it shakes too much to focus on anything so you really do need to mount it.

Do download the instructions for using it - I think it's called the "observing guide". It has some helpful tips.

Happy skywatching!