Menu

Flying with knitting needles???

But in your carry on, in theory it's allowed, but individual security and airline personnel can object, and if they do, you can't really protest at that point.

Personally, the last time I flew I brought knitting in my checked luggage.

I would hate to lose a project in progress because of something dumb.

I have also heard that your likelihood of not being hassled is higher if the needles are plastic or wood, or if they are circ's.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

I haven't finished reading through the list, but it might help. One thing to note is that if you have sharp objects in your checked luggage (I think knitting needles would count), to sheath them or wrap them so they don't cause injury to baggage handlers. Also, in the Tools section, tools 7" or less in length are allowed in checked baggage. Your knitting needles are a tool of sorts, and might be allowed if they're 7" or less (they're not normally, are they?).

Regarding knitting needles:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. We recommend the following when bringing knitting needles on an airplane:

• Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
  • We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
  • Scissors must have blunt points
  • In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.