Menu

Need opinions regarding an Ebay listing...

I have been asked by our church Pastor to list some Florence Ceramics figurines on Ebay. They have been in the church office on a shelf...and, since our church is moving in a few months...we are selling and giving things away that we don't want any longer.

I realize that they are "really" only worth what someone will pay for them! Smiles! Two of them have very tiny chips...and, two of them are in perfect condition. I've looked up their "value" and they range from $100 to $695...if in perfect condition.

What would you put for the starting bid on these little ladies? There are a number of them on Ebay right now...but, many of them have numerous chips and are going for little money. I don't want to over-price the starting bid...but, I also want to get as much as I can for our Pastor.

Any thoughts on how to price them?

Thanks!

~Holly

I try to have the start price fairly low, to bring people in. For my things that have actually been worth something, I do put a reserve on the item. If your item doesn't reach the reserve, I think you can sell it to the top bidder after the auction ends (I haven't sold on eBay for awhile, so that might not be correct).

Blessings,

Rita

I was tired of being disappointed by my auctions ending with really low bids, so I started using the reserve option. Sometimes it helped, and sometimes it seemed to keep the bidders away. I decided to try the buy it now or best offer option and had much more success that way. That way, even if it didn't sell at my asking price, people could make an offer and I could decide whether or not to sell at a lower price. You can even send them a counter-offer. Another plus was that I didn't have to wait for an auction to end, since it was a buy it now. Some things sold right away, or within a day.

I'd start it at 50-75. under the $100, but not so low you're giving it away. As a buyer, I hate reserve auctions and will generally stay away from them. It may look low, but you have no idea the reserve, so you don't know what the real price is. It's just not worth my time to watch an auction not knowing if I'll really be willing to pay the price or not.