Menu

a Question for Fitness Freaks

My dh does. I don't know that I would call myself a fitness freak...YET! :p He LOVES the fact that I've been consistent with my running for three months now. He did give me a bit of a hard time when I took two weeks off in June. I was visiting my family in NY. lol. He was afraid I wasn't going to pick it back up when I got home. He's pleased that I did, and that I've even been pushing myself harder. Since my dh is in the Army, fitness has to be important to him. He's pleased that it's now important to me. :-)

I'm not a fitness freak, but I do like to exercise. DH does not, and it makes it very difficult for me because he's not very willing to watch the kids while I go walk at a park. He also likes to make comments if I'm doing a video in front of the TV, which makes me feel very self-conscious (I have a horrible body image to begin with, so it's very, very unhelpful). Therefore, I don't exercise these days unless he's gone... which, if he's working from home, which is happening a lot these days because of the economy because he's an IT consultant and nobody wants to pay for face time, means I don't exercise at all. I only have 10 more pounds to lose, but it's tough going!

i didn't mean freak in a bad way! :tongue_smilie:

my husband is a fast food junkie. he's only about 20-30 pounds overweight because his job is pretty demanding...but that's not going to save him from health problems, you know? he's mostly supportive of my fitness goals, although from time to time he'll tell me i'm working too hard at the gym or try to force some fast food on me. :ack2:

i really hate to nag him about it, but it's hard for me to deal with...i'd like to keep him around as long as possible.

No No No.

I LOVE my husband. He has many great qualities. :)

However....his idea of a balanced meal is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and fried okra. With a big DP. :(

After gaining a ton of weight with each preg, I decided to lose it a couple of years ago. But I couldn't do it with temptations in the house, so I asked dh to not bring any junk home. I hate to admit I'm this weak, but if it's in the house, I'll partake. He can eat his junk at work, or in the car on the way to work.

He's *very* understanding about me going to the gym. It doesn't bother him that I'm there every day for 1-2 hrs and pay for a trainer. If I wanted to buy a home gym, he would in a second, we just don't have the facilities for one right now. :)

Dh does physical labor here on the ranch, but, imo, it's not enough. I wish he would go back to working out and eating more healthy.

Our biggest point of contention is the dc. I'm teaching them to eat healthy: food is fuel, not entertainment; food doesn't have to taste *great* all the time...it's meant to nourish; if you want dessert, have dessert, but don't make everything you eat sweet. Because of my weight issues and dc's allergies, I provide a mostly raw (with the exception of meat and eggs) diet, and almost no processed foods for them. Since dh doesn't see food this way for himself, he doesn't teach our dc the same things I'm trying to. It can be irritating at times, but I'm sure the dc will survive.

So, as long as he doesn't bring home junk, his outlook really doesn't affect what I eat and when I workout. I do worry about his health, though.

ETA: I don't want to nag, either! I try to encourage him, but I'm not his mom. He's a grown man and can choose what he eats. There's a fine line between encouraging and nagging, ime! :)

Edited by Aggie

I am in good shape and exercise regularly to stay that way. Also, the things I like to do for fun (hiking and biking) are a workout.

No, my husband doesn't share my love for these things, but he is 100% behind me doing them, and he is happy when I am happy. I do wish he enjoyed them with me, but one of the things I love about him is that he accepts me just as I am (I don't love all the things he does, either). So I accept him for who he is, too.

Luckily, my 14 yob likes to hike and bike with me. We just did a killer 14 mile hike on Wednesday; my knee is still sore! :) I'm feel blessed to be able to share that with him.

No No No.

I LOVE my husband. He has many great qualities. :)

However....his idea of a balanced meal is chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and fried okra. With a big DP. :(

After gaining a ton of weight with each preg, I decided to lose it a couple of years ago. But I couldn't do it with temptations in the house, so I asked dh to not bring any junk home. I hate to admit I'm this weak, but if it's in the house, I'll partake. He can eat his junk at work, or in the car on the way to work.

He's *very* understanding about me going to the gym. It doesn't bother him that I'm there every day for 1-2 hrs and pay for a trainer. If I wanted to buy a home gym, he would in a second, we just don't have the facilities for one right now. :)

Dh does physical labor here on the ranch, but, imo, it's not enough. I wish he would go back to working out and eating more healthy.

Our biggest point of contention is the dc. I'm teaching them to eat healthy: food is fuel, not entertainment; food doesn't have to taste *great* all the time...it's meant to nourish; if you want dessert, have dessert, but don't make everything you eat sweet. Because of my weight issues and dc's allergies, I provide a mostly raw (with the exception of meat and eggs) diet, and almost no processed foods for them. Since dh doesn't see food this way for himself, he doesn't teach our dc the same things I'm trying to. It can be irritating at times, but I'm sure the dc will survive.

So, as long as he doesn't bring home junk, his outlook really doesn't affect what I eat and when I workout. I do worry about his health, though.

ETA: I don't want to nag, either! I try to encourage him, but I'm not his mom. He's a grown man and can choose what he eats. There's a fine line between encouraging and nagging, ime! :)

:iagree: My same situation...

BUT, DH and I just took a long car trip. I had just started the book The China Study. DH has fam hist of heart disease and has experienced chest pain lately. So, I read him the chapter on heart disease and he agreed to go healthy (like 90% vegan)! This is after 21 years of marriage and I have been committed to healthy eating most of these years. So, I am glad that I have not given up - I just shared info. He was open. Hopefully, it will stick (praying!) I want to have many more years together.