Menu

A question for those with TOG Redesign in print

Karenciavo

Help me think this through. If I decide I like the integrated DE I'm thinking that rather than "upgrading" my Redesign that I'll simply sell my in print year plans and buy DE outright. I don't think they've officially announced the upgrade price, but let's go on the assumption that it's 1/2 price, $85. I paid $225 per year plan + $85 = $310 and now I can no longer sell my in print year plan (which vexes me btw, but I won't rant :smash:) If I sell my year plans for say $170 each, it will be a wash, sell for $170, buy for $170. I don't care about having the year plan in print. I make copies for my dc in any case and will use a lap top or print off other teacher items as needed. In both cases I can trade in all my supplements and upgrade those for free. I wonder if for Year 3 I can simply buy units 1,2, & 4 since they gave us unit 3 because our order wasn't ready?

What do you think? Am I missing something?

Seems like you'd come out ahead by selling your print Redesign & purchasing the DE. Plus you'd gain all that shelf space!

I watched the Introduction to the updated DE on Wednesday, and was very taken with the integrated MapAids, Writing Aids, and Loom. And the fact that they are going to start selling Evaluations by the unit made that product much more interesting to me. I Love the search feature on DE. My problem is that I like being able to make notes on my Tapestry, and also I prefer shuffling through real pages to waiting for pages to open on the screen. Since you Don't care about having a paper copy, though, I can't see a downside to your plan!

Karenciavo, would you mind walking through the DE, print copies, upgrade deal again. Mathematically, it makes sense. If I follow your thinking here, for those of us just starting out in TOG, there is no advantage to purchasing used print copies of the TOG Redesign. I have recent (I think) print copies of Y1, Units 1-3 and these need to be upgraded? So when I buy Unit 4, I should buy the DE and print out the pages that I need? I find this part about TOG far more confusing than "The Fog".

I am so confused!!:confused:

I have Yr. 1 in print... What do people mean it has to be upgraded?

Is DE really so wonderful that I should also think of selling the print version?

LOL, this is the first thread I read this morning since I woke up, so sorry if I am confusing everyone...:)

Is DE really so wonderful that I should also think of selling the print version?

LOL, this is the first thread I read this morning since I woke up, so sorry if I am confusing everyone...:)

I am confused right along with you.

If I follow your thinking here, for those of us just starting out in TOG, there is no advantage to purchasing used print copies of the TOG Redesign. I have recent (I think) print copies of Y1, Units 1-3 and these need to be upgraded? So when I buy Unit 4, I should buy the DE and print out the pages that I need? I find this part about TOG far more confusing than "The Fog".

You don't need to upgrade at all.

If you decide that you want to use the DE of TOG and you want a print copy there is an advantage to purchasing used if they allow those who buy used to upgrade and I think they will. Let's say you buy year 2 used for $170 and you want to upgrade to DE all you have to do is send in the Loom cd and $85. Now you have Year 2 DE and print option for $255 ($170 + $85) instead of the $290 it would cost for the Year 2 DE/Print option right from Lampstand Press. Year 3 DE/Print option is $295 and Year 1 DE/Print option is $270 so savings will vary.

It depends on what you want, some people don't like the DE of TOG and want the print copy only. As far as your Year 1 goes, it all depends if they will upgrade partial year plans at a reduced cost, if each unit is 1/2 price to upgrade I think you should buy unit 4 DE if you want DE. Otherwise I would get the $60 in print unit 4, I think if you want to sell your year plan in the future it would help to have all four units and you can't resell DE.

Sorry to confuse you. :D

I like DE, I don't need to have TOG in print, but some people do. What I really like about the new DE (which is a free upgrade for everyone with DE) is how they will integrate everything into DE. I will no longer have to get out my Map Aids cd, then my government cd, then my evaluations cd, then my Writing Aids cd, etc. to print out my students work for the week. Even all the weekly links will be included right on the DE index page. You can see a sample here. When you click on unit one, then week one a drop down menu appears with all the supplements of the week. This makes everything more convenient for those of us using DE.

Again. If you love TOG in print there's no need to change, it's the same product.

I am confused right along with you.

Thanks Melora. I use page protectors so my 3 year plans (plus my classic Year 1 that I can't resell) take up 3.5 shelves on a Billy bookcase. I could definitely use the room. The search feature on a Mac isn't as cool as the one for Windows computers, I hope Locklizard will one day get the Mac version on par with the Windows version.

Seems like you'd come out ahead by selling your print Redesign & purchasing the DE. Plus you'd gain all that shelf space!

I watched the Introduction to the updated DE on Wednesday, and was very taken with the integrated MapAids, Writing Aids, and Loom. And the fact that they are going to start selling Evaluations by the unit made that product much more interesting to me. I Love the search feature on DE. My problem is that I like being able to make notes on my Tapestry, and also I prefer shuffling through real pages to waiting for pages to open on the screen. Since you Don't care about having a paper copy, though, I can't see a downside to your plan!

Sorry to confuse you. :D

I like DE, I don't need to have TOG in print, but some people do. What I really like about the new DE (which is a free upgrade for everyone with DE) is how they will integrate everything into DE. I will no longer have to get out my Map Aids cd, then my government cd, then my evaluations cd, then my Writing Aids cd, etc. to print out my students work for the week. Even all the weekly links will be included right on the DE index page. You can see a sample here. When you click on unit one, then week one a drop down menu appears with all the supplements of the week. This makes everything more convenient for those of us using DE.

Again. If you love TOG in print there's no need to change, it's the same product.

Thanks, Karen. Makes sense now.

I really like the print version, but I'm often tempted by the DE version. I have Y1 Unit 4 and all of Y2 in print. It's all in page protectors and I have more page protectors waiting for more units. LOL I like to have certain things printed out for me so that I can look at them without having to mess with one of the computers. OTOH, the more they make the DE version fit my needs (not having all of those CD's to lose is a huge bonus), the more I wonder if I would really like to upgrade.

Ack.

Where did you read about the upgrade? I've read about the newest DE version, but haven't read about any upgrade. It's something I've wanted from the beginning. And if there is an upgrade, would it be a requirement to send the printed versions back? Or prove that they have been shredded? It would be time consuming to take everything out of the page protectors and costly to ship.

Rambling today,

Where did you read about the upgrade? I've read about the newest DE version, but haven't read about any upgrade. It's something I've wanted from the beginning. And if there is an upgrade, would it be a requirement to send the printed versions back? Or prove that they have been shredded? It would be time consuming to take everything out of the page protectors and costly to ship.

Rambling today,

The upgrade will be officially announced in the next newsletter, I think it comes out next week, but it was hinted at in the last newsletter sent on 7/1.

From the newsletter:

Print to DE Upgrade Coupon

We’ve received a number of calls from those of you who wonder whether we can offer something like our half-price discount coupon for customers who bought Classic and wanted to move up to Redesigned Tapestry. At first, we thought there wouldn’t be much demand for a similar “printed Redesigned to digital Redesigned†coupon, but the calls have just kept coming. We know that our DE update is only going to increase the demand, so we’ve found a way to make it easy to add digital features to your printed copy of Tapestry. In our July newsletter that is coming out around the 15th of this month, we’ll be giving you details on the process and a special price for existing customers who want to get in on all the cool new digital magic!

If you decide to do this you will mail your Loom CD to Lampstand Press, but you can keep and use your printed copy, you just can't sell it.

Karen

If you decide to do this you will mail your Loom CD to Lampstand Press, but you can keep and use your printed copy, you just can't sell it.

Karen

This is what causes me to totally hesitate in purchasing the DE 'upgrade'. If I decide I'd like to try the upgrade, not only do I have to pay money for it, but I then would no longer be allowed to sell my print copy that I paid full price for.

Now, it would be different if they wanted to let those of us who have paid full price for print copies already, to upgrade to DE for, well, FREE, upon the condition that we send them our Loom CD. But to have already paid full price for print, and then to have to pay for a DE upgrade, and ALSO lose my rights to sell my print version. Uh, that's a no-go for this girl. ;)

I have Years 1, 2 and 3 in print. I have zero issues with printing out all my map aids maps in the summer, as well as any SAP pages I plan to use. I do not have to get out my Cd's all the time to do this. It is usually once or twice a year. :confused: The convenience of having everything in paper form is far and away better than having our map aids, SAPs and WA Cd's conveniently located in the, unable to ever sell, DE version. :tongue_smilie:

I'm stickin' with old-fashioned paper, until I am FORCED to buy Y4 in DE. ;)

So, all that to say, I don't think it's worth it. :D

Edited by Melissa in CA

This is what causes me to totally hesitate in purchasing the DE 'upgrade'. If I decide I'd like to try the upgrade, not only do I have to pay money for it, but I then would not longer be allowed to sell my print copy that I paid full price for.

Now, it would be different if they wanted to let those of us who have paid full price for print copies already, to upgrade to DE for, well, FREE, upon the condition that we send them our Loom CD. But to have already paid full price for print, and then to have to pay for a DE upgrade, and ALSO lose my rights to sell my print version. Uh, that's a no-go for this girl. ;)

I have Years 1, 2 and 3 in print. I have zero issues with printing out all my map aids maps in the summer, as well as any SAP pages I plan to use. I do not have to get out my Cd's all the time to do this. It is usually once or twice a year. :confused: The convenience of having everything in paper form is far and away better than having our map aids, SAPs and WA Cd's conveniently located in the, unable to ever sell, DE version. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: It's not like we are talking about a cheap book here either, we are talking about hundreds of dollars.

This is what causes me to totally hesitate in purchasing the DE 'upgrade'. If I decide I'd like to try the upgrade, not only do I have to pay money for it, but I then would not longer be allowed to sell my print copy that I paid full price for.

My sentiments exactly. I wouldn't upgrade either if I paid full price for in print that's why I'm thinking of selling my year plans.

The upgrade will be officially announced in the next newsletter, I think it comes out next week, but it was hinted at in the last newsletter sent on 7/1.

Thanks, Karen. I'd read that.

I wonder how they will keep from having people sell their print versions, even though they are not "allowed" to.

:iagree: It's not like we are talking about a cheap book here either, we are talking about hundreds of dollars.

It is a ton of money and I have to say, the print version is working very well for me. I'm a bit stymied as to why the first print version of Y2 was not automatically upgraded for those of us that have that. I think that I would really would benefit from the 2nd printing. But alas, I'm not going to buy it again. Having an opportunity to purchase the DE 2nd printing at a lesser price than the whole entire thing makes me more interested.

Really, though, I think I like all the new and shiny new parts. I don't know that they would work any better for me. It's entirely possible that I will use this for all of my girls. At that point, reselling becomes a moot point because it will be so old. LOL I just have to keep myself from buying new and shiny. :)

Thanks, Karen. I'd read that.

I wonder how they will keep from having people sell their print versions, even though they are not "allowed" to.

The person won't have the Loom any longer. I suppose they could still sell their print plans, but the buyer would not be getting the Loom which has all the SAPs, rhetoric literature helps like poetics & frameworks, etc. I would not want to buy it. Lampstand got burned with the last upgrade from Classic to Redesign so maybe they will require more than the Loom cd, but that's all I've heard so far.

Thanks Melora. I use page protectors so my 3 year plans (plus my classic Year 1 that I can't resell) take up 3.5 shelves on a Billy bookcase. I could definitely use the room. The search feature on a Mac isn't as cool as the one for Windows computers, I hope Locklizard will one day get the Mac version on par with the Windows version.

A little OT, but I'm with you Karen. Just got a MacBook for my birthday (!!), and am wishing LockLizard was a little snazzier.

Ah, well.

This is what causes me to totally hesitate in purchasing the DE 'upgrade'. If I decide I'd like to try the upgrade, not only do I have to pay money for it, but I then would no longer be allowed to sell my print copy that I paid full price for.

I totally agree with you! Some of us paid for Classic, upgraded to Redesign, and now another upgrade to DE if I decide to try that. Ugh!!

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

I hear what you're saying. It's annoying. It's also annoying that we're paying $170 for the DE and can't sell it. I know what you mean. But then I was just thinking that since you have to turn in your Loom when you upgrade, you'd only be selling the print copy. Why would anyone want to buy that?

Or do you mean that they shouldn't ask for the Loom to be returned either? I don't know...

I guess they're just trying to protect their interests and stay solvent. I am really wishy-washy about this whole thing.

And then I keep comparing it to the cost of Christian school and I feel like I'm getting a bargain, you know? ;)