Menu

Rod & Staff

My DS started R & S in 7th grade so I started him in the 5th grade book since it is slightly more advanced. So during 8th he did the 6th book and now he is entering 9th.

For transcript purposes do I have to move him to R&S 9th? Do colleges look at the grade listed on a text to determine the grade level?

I'm assuming that you are talking about the English Books. My dd started late as well. She is doing the 8th and 9th grade books in 10th. (We started half way through the year originally.) Last year she did the last half of the 7th grade book and the 1st half of the 8th and I called it 9th grade English.

These books are quite difficult. I would not try to skip the 7th/8th grade books. They cover all the grammar concepts. We have not used them yet, but it looks to me that the 9th/10th books review grammar, but focus more on writing.

HTH

Colleges look at ACT, SAT or what test score that they may give you. As far as transcript we did part University of MO and home school so my dd's transcript read home school Algebra 2 ( not teaching textbooks Algebra 2) And this was done by the University of MO. The college never questioned what her home school class books were. So that said I think you would be fine to put - 9th grade English on his transcript and use what ever you choose.(personally I would not jump ahead) As long as you feel he is learning - don't see what difference it makes :)

Also, I believe R&S only goes to English 10 so you are right on track for 4 years of English. :hurray:

Lisa

My ds did R&S E. 7 in grade 8 and then most of it was repeated in grade 9 at his private high school; the main difference was that English 9 was a split between grammar, literature, vocabulary and composition - so not as much time was spent on grammar as w/R&S (same topics just done quickly with less grammar homework). I would suggest using R&S E.7 and calling it English 9 on your transcript.