Menu

9 y/o really interested in Chemistry, WWYD?

rafiki

Look for Dorling Kingsley's (DK) Eyewittness books/DVDs at your library that cover chemistry topics.

Try the Atoms to Molecules books suggested in TWTM. Nothing but experiments. Easy, truely easy, to find what you need for them at Walmart, your pantry, etc..

NOEO chem 1 or 2 or even 3, depending on ability.

Real Science-4- Kids chem pre1, 1, or 2, depending on ability.

Basic chem set.

Mine went off like this and are now on a physics kick. HTH!

How would a 9 y/o boy do with it though? Is it more projects than writing?

Yes. It's games, read alouds and a little writing. My 9yo has done fine with it. I've put it aside as I find that I do better "blocking" the main history and science subjects, so when we have finished our current daily history unit we will move to daily Chemistry with The Elements.

IMO, Ellen McHenry's The Elements is perfect for the 9 to 10 year old range. My dd9 (10 in August) will be starting it in the Fall.

We will also be using the Thames and Kosmos Chem 1000 kit. It looks very promising and gets good reviews. You can purchase it for nearly half price if you don't mind a damaged box. Here's the link: http://www.shopatron.com/index/272.0.5649.0.0.0.0

Guest 451fences

I used these books to teach 8 kids from 3rd grade to 6th grade. They loved it. All experiments and just a few terms that they would need to look up and understand the definitions. Very easy ingredients.....lots of fun....lots of learning. There are a group of 4 books....1st book has experiments that can be done in one session. The next books have quite a few experiments like growing sugar crystals etc that will require a few days maybe upto a week. Good Luck.

Mary,

81/2 year old daughter