Menu

Do you love MFW science? Good as Apologia?

Guest lahmeh

Guest lahmeh

I *think* I've made a decision to go with My Fathers World for my 1st and 2nd graders this year (and hopefully every year). The only thing that I'm hung up on is science. Everyone says Apologia is so wonderful so I was sure we were going to use that every year. ALL of the Apologia books look great! I know if we stick with MFW every year we will end up using 2 of them. Can anyone give me their opinion on MFW science? Is it meaty? Do you like it? I don't want to have to separate the schedule and do Apologia by itself. Any opinions? Thanks very much! :)

I've used MFW for many years. My dh has a PHD in chemistry. We are very happy with MFW's approach to science.

We like that MFW uses a broader base of topics in the earliest years. We like more hands on demos and such in those years. Love adding library books and using the internet links in some of the Usborne books. I love how the Bible and science in ADV were connected and yet you still have the time to do more science of their interests if you want.

I used Apologia Elementary Botany and Astronomy books in MFW. Like those too. But was very glad that we used them when oldest was in upper elementary and middle child in lower elementary.

I can't imagine doing animal studies that much in elementary years (zoology books). And my personal preferences are such that I'm glad we didn't spend all year in the Fulbright books that we did use, but did them in a semester.

And I also like that we got to use the God's Design series, and other books as well for some topics. Good to get different teaching styles too.

My oldest went into Apologia jr. high at 7th grade. Still loves science.

I've heard some people get the zoology books and use them for reference material and just browsing so they have the best of both worlds.

-crystal

Honestly, we found the science in MFW to be it's weakest part. It was very, very light in my opinion and covered a lot of things that we cover in our everyday lives (nature walks, etc). I think it would be okay while your kids are in lower elementary grades, but by 3rd grade, I would probably supplement or use Apologia (or something else) in place of MFW science.

, but by 3rd grade, I would probably supplement or use Apologia (or something else) in place of MFW science.

Just listing out the science for 3rd grade and up to help others plan if they want to supplement because the science does change once you hit the 5 year cycle programs. It does not stay at the K, 1st, ADV level.

In ECC, 2nd edition, the science uses God's Design, Properties of Ecosystems, plus uses Living World Encyclopedia, and book basket selections as well.

7th and 8th graders in ECC do the readings from Ecosystems book as well as doing Apologia jr. high science.

CTG:

students in grades 2-6 do a year long study on general science topics as they relate to the days of creation. (chemistry/physics with light, air, water), biology with land/plants. Animals, and even the physics of "rest".

It is done 2-4 times per week. Other topics in the year include science on Pyramids. Literature approach in science with Archimedes. And all year you have book basket. The manual for CTG highly recommends that students in grades 5 and 6 also do reports about once a month on a topic of interest in science for independent research. This year is one that might be easier to add in topics of interest especially on weeks where it is science 2 times per week. Just start with the extra experiments in the book, add in the book basket selections and the report. If your child wants to do science fair, this year is a great time to get lots of ideas for it and still have time for it.

and for students in grades 7-8, they are in Apologia jr. high

RTR: grades 2-6 do 2 years of science within one year's time frame. First semester is a semester long unit on human body. 2nd semester is Apologia elementary Astronomy. (the whole book)

(and repeating myself..... jr high kids in jr. high apologia)

EX1850: again, you do 2 years of science in 1 academic year. First semester is Taxonomy of animal kingdom using God's Design series World of Animals (along with extra reference reading of course with book basket), then 2nd semester is Apologia Botany.

(and, yes, repeating myself.... jr. high kids do Apologia jr. high)

1850MOD: year long on chemistry, physics, modern science. Designed for grades 2-6. Easy to add in extra experiments with the internet linked book that is part of the program. Remember to do notebooking, and lab reports and all of that too. book basket. The text used for science this year is called World of Science (Parragon), and then the experiment book is Usborne internet linked with extra stuff. My oldest was in 6th grade the year we did 1850MOD and the way we "added" science that year was to hand it all over to her -- she was responsible for reading the experiment, setting it up, cleaning it up and making sure that 3rd grader was participating.

(yes, jr. high kids in jr high apologia)

I hope that helps to see long term in grades 3-6 in MFW and helps someone to plan ahead for their needs.

in K-2nd, it is "light" because of the age. And then you have time to add more or visit science museums and all of that. My dh (PHD in chemistry, works as an x-ray crystallographer at a research hospital) was just fine with his kids not being overwhelmed in science in K-2nd grades. But, the nice thing is that you can add whatever you want to MFW, just get done with school and service first.

-crystal

MFW recommend Apologia when you get to the Jr High and Highschool stage. It is very common practice to go light on the sciences in the younger years.

just clarifying.....

MFW also uses Apologia elementary in the elementary years. The entire Astronomy book is used in one semester in Rome to the Reformation. The entire Botany book is used in one semester in EX1850. Those are the Jeannie Fulbright books. Then in grades 7-12, MFW recommends Apologia Jr. High/High school years and even has lesson plans for them that are geared for students to do on their own.

-crystal

just clarifying.....

MFW also uses Apologia elementary in the elementary years. The entire Astronomy book is used in one semester in Rome to the Reformation. The entire Botany book is used in one semester in EX1850. Those are the Jeannie Fulbright books. Then in grades 7-12, MFW recommends Apologia Jr. High/High school years and even has lesson plans for them that are geared for students to do on their own.

-crystal

Thank you! I thought they did, but couldn't remember ;)

MFW science in K-2nd is very hands-on and fun exposure, usually related to whatever the Bible themes are in those years. For example, in Kindergarten you study science from the perspective of God's creation (very nature-oriented).

In 1st grade, you study general science by doing fun, simple experiments and cooking activities.

In 2nd grade, as you study the names and characteristics of Jesus, your science activities go along the themes of His names, i.e., the Bread of Life (do bread and yeast experiments, discuss the meaning of the Lord's Supper, etc.), the Living Water, and so on.

In 3rd grade with ECC, you study earth science (plants, animals, climates/ecozones) as they relate to the different countries/parts of the world that you're studying.

Then in 4th grade with CTG, you begin studying science more chronologically alongside history and Bible similar to how WTM does it.

You could certainly add the Jeannie Fulbright books along the way if you want to, but it's not at all necessary. As was already mentioned, the Astronomy and Botany books are scheduled in years 3 and 4. But unless you have loads of free time on your hands and/or a super enthusiastic child, I wouldn't try to add any "full" science curriculums to what's already scheduled in MFW, even at the K-2nd level. They do make nice book basket type books if you want, though. ;)

Guest lahmeh

OK, so I feel better now that you all have explained it to me!:) Maybe..just maybe after WEEKS of trying to make a decision I can go ahead and order! Thank you all very much for the replies! :grouphug: