Menu

Jacobs Algebra--finish the whole book?

We're in a bit of a crunch here. Ds will be attending a private school in the fall and can start in geometry if he passes the algebra test, which is scheduled for the end of Jul. We also need to submit paperwork for the school to accept his algebra course for credit. We just finished chapter 13, quadratic equations. Dh and I are wondering how much of the rest of the book is necessary for a complete Alg I course. Thoughts? We have 3 weeks to finish the course and review for the test. Here are the chapter topics:

1. Fundamental Operations

2. Functions and Graphs

3. The Integers

4. The Rational Numbers

5. Equations in One Variable

6. Equations in Two Variables

7. Simultaneous Equations

8. Exponents

9. Polynomials

10. Factoring

11. Fractions

12. Square Roots

13. Quadratic Equations

14. The Real Numbers

15. Fractional Equations

16. Inequalities

17. Number Sequences

We have a copy of Lial's Introductory Algebra which we thought we'd use for review. Looking at the course review at the end of the book, dh noticed it doesn't include quadratic equations. Is this not a typical Alg I topic?

Cinder

Like Jana said, the last chapter covers the quadratic formula...but earlier chapters cover factoring--lots of word problems using quadratics too...

Looking at a table of contents or 'review' can be deceiving--in any text.

Now about Jacobs...

Jacobs goes a bit further into most concepts than most other Algebra 1 texts--but not far enough for it to be considered Algebra 2.

If you skip the last chapters you WILL be missing some material that is covered in standard Algebra 1 texts--and this material will probably NOT be 'reviewed' in Algebra 2 in as much depth as the Algebra 1 coverage will give.

Since time is important--and completing the text in 3 weeks would be difficult... I'd consider asking for a sample test--or if you could borrow the Algebra test that the test is based on--usually it is the final exam from the text used at the school for Algebra 1...

Once you have a better understanding of what you are facing you will be able to 'cram' a few basics of the last chapters in...

I would still suggest working through the end of the book--it lays such a great foundation!

---

Credit through examination is not always fair... hopefully the school will be able to give you a better idea...again your son spent more time on concepts than 'their' school's Algebra 1 program did... so he will be ahead in most concepts--and behind in a few...

Fractional equations is covered in either chapter 6 or 7 of Lial's Intro/Beginning (Algebra 1) text--depending on the edition... it is placed in the middle--and square roots closer to the end.. each publisher has their own scope and sequence... skipping chapters is a tough call.

Thanks for your response, Jann. Just to clear things up, the Lial book we have does have quadratic equations as the last chapter. It's the end of course review that doesn't seem to have any QE problems. That's why I was wondering.

Well, we are certainly trying to cram the rest of the book in over the next couple of weeks. Hitting the highlights. Fortunately the last 4 chapters are shorter than average. I, too, was thinking ds could still finish Jacobs anyway. The school uses BJU for Alg I. Now to find a copy. (The school doesn't maintain books--the students purchase their own copies.) And I'll be contacting the school.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cinder

Thanks for your response, Jann. Just to clear things up, the Lial book we have does have quadratic equations as the last chapter. It's the end of course review that doesn't seem to have any QE problems. That's why I was wondering.

Well, we are certainly trying to cram the rest of the book in over the next couple of weeks. Hitting the highlights. Fortunately the last 4 chapters are shorter than average. I, too, was thinking ds could still finish Jacobs anyway. The school uses BJU for Alg I. Now to find a copy. (The school doesn't maintain books--the students purchase their own copies.) And I'll be contacting the school.

Thanks again for the advice.

Cinder

After finishing Ch. 15, I noticed in my Teacher's Guide (the small blue book with the Set 1 & 3 answers in the back), that there are three "tracks" given at the beginning of the book. In the second track, Chapters 14, 16 and 17 are skipped. I sure wish we had skipped 14 and used the time on Chapter 15instead :tongue_smilie:.

HTH!

Rhondabee, thanks for pointing that out in the Teacher's Guide. I hadn't even thought to look there. In my own defense, dh is teaching this so, uh, yeah. :tongue_smilie: But seriously, this gives us a better idea how to spend our next couple of weeks.

Cinder

Quadratics are not just factored using the quadratic equation--in MOST Algebra 1 programs factoring by grouping and factoring by 'undoing FOIL' is covered. Students must be comfortable with radicals before the quadratic equation or completing the square are taught/used...and radicals tend to be near the back of most texts.

Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra will teach the quadratic formula and completing the square--again this is for MOST Algebra programs in the US (I have way too many on my shelves!).

ALL of my Introductory Algebra texts have quadratics in the last cumulative review--they are under the heading of 'factoring' and the students are free to use any method they learned to solve.

Edited by Jann in TX
needed to add...

Quadratics are not just factored using the quadratic equation--in MOST Algebra 1 programs factoring by grouping and factoring by 'undoing FOIL' is covered. Students must be comfortable with radicals before the quadratic equation or completing the square are taught/used...and radicals tend to be near the back of most texts.

Algebra 2/Intermediate Algebra will teach the quadratic formula and completing the square--again this is for MOST Algebra programs in the US (I have way too many on my shelves!).

ALL of my Introductory Algebra texts have quadratics in the last cumulative review--they are under the heading of 'factoring' and the students are free to use any method they learned to solve.

The progression you mentioned above for solving quadratics is the same in Jacobs. It also goes into completing the square before introducing the quadratic formula. And yes, radicals were in there along the way. I think at this point ds's main trouble will be remembering his signs. He goes through the whole process of solving and then gets the wrong answer because he dropped a sign. Argh!

Cinder

Jann, thanks for your patience with me. After my last post I got Lial out again and checked the end-of-course review. Of course there are quadratic equations. I think in my mind I was looking for a particular format. This is why dh wants ds to do some review with a source other than Jacobs. I'll take my Dope Slap now. :tongue_smilie:

I'd love to see your method for checking signs. Ds is getting better with them. The other day he was so proud of himself for remember that squares have positive AND negative roots. I'll pm you my email.

Cinder