Menu

Easy Grammar users please help!

I posted a little while ago about trying to decide on what to do for grammar. I think I have decided to use Easy Grammar but trying to decide exactly what I need to order is confusing me. Is it really that expensive?

I need to buy for 2 students.

My 5th grader who is a struggling reader and has not had much in the way of formal grammar and punctuation, and my 10th grader who just needs an overall review.

I looked on the EG website. Do I really need to buy the Teacher's edition, the student workbook and the test book?

I would love advice from those of you who have used it on which books/grade levels to get for my children, as well as an idea on how parent intensive it is.

Thanks! Amy

I've never used it but I ordered it for this year. If you want the answers then get the TE. You can just get the teachers book and copy off the work pages for two children. It is set up with one side blank, for copying and the answers on the other side. Hope that helps.

This is not parent intensive at all. You may want to consider having your 10th grader just use a teacher book, cover the answer page, do the student page (we use a page protector and dry erase markers so we can re-use the book), and check the answers when finished. Your struggling 5th grader may need a short intro to each lesson. Even if you need to be there as a coach during the worksheet part, each lesson is only 5-10 minutes.

Monica

Do the teacher books for EG also contain the tests and the answers for the tests ... or do I need to order a separate test booklet as well for each student?

I was going to order a separate student book for each child, but I like the idea of using a page protector and the teacher book. For those that have used this method before, is it a huge pain? I like the idea of being able to use the book over and over again! :)

I posted a little while ago about trying to decide on what to do for grammar. I think I have decided to use Easy Grammar but trying to decide exactly what I need to order is confusing me. Is it really that expensive?

I need to buy for 2 students.

My 5th grader who is a struggling reader and has not had much in the way of formal grammar and punctuation, and my 10th grader who just needs an overall review.

I looked on the EG website. Do I really need to buy the Teacher's edition, the student workbook and the test book?

I would love advice from those of you who have used it on which books/grade levels to get for my children, as well as an idea on how parent intensive it is.

Thanks! Amy

You do NOT need to buy the test book. Please. Don't waste your money.

It doesn't matter whether either of your dc has had much formal instruction or not; it's the reading level that's more important.

If your younger dc is a "struggling" reader, you might want to use EG 4. OTOH, maybe it would be better to work on his reading and wait for the grammar, in which case my recommendation would be to do Spalding with him this year and Easy Grammar next year.

If you're pretty sure your older dc just needs review, the new Easy Grammar Ultimate Series might work, either 9th or 11th grade level (there's no 10th. Wonder why...) Otherwise, he could do EG Plus.

It's easiest if each child has his own workbook and you have the teacher edition. Pricey, but easiest.

It's not teacher intensive in the sense of your having to study and lecture and all that, but IMHO it is *imperative* that *you* check each lesson before allowing your dc to go on to the next. Many parents have found, to their dismay, that their dc who were allowed to check their own work had gotten halfway through the book and not actually made the corrections, so that they had to go back to the beginning and start over.