Menu

Scheduling Prima Latina

Is the DVD necessary with this program?

How long is each lesson on the DVD?

Can I use only the CD with the manual and workbook?

How do you schedule this curriculum? What has worked for you? I am looking to do 4 days per week.

I look forward to your great input! :bigear:

We used Prima Latina without the DVDs, and it was fine. In fact, when I bought the Latina Christiana DVD set for my son (who loves Latin), he complained so much about how boring they were that I sold them. We've since switched to Latin for Children (with the DVDs!), but I've kept my Prima Latina workbooks for my youngest in case we decide to start early with her. (She's now only 3.)

As for scheduling, I'd try to do any foreign language as many times per week as possible, even if only for a few minutes a day. Like with math or a musical instrument, I find that consistent practice is the most successful.

Tiffany

I started Prima Latina last year with DD with just the CD's and the books. They worked out well and I loaded the CD onto her MP3 player for her to listen to whenever she wanted. I was struggling more with teaching more and kind of was doing a hands off approach and letting her do it herself. That was not working out too well for us. I just bought the DVD's and I think that DD will really benefit from them. Plus she is excited about watching TV for school. I can not tell you how well she likes them because she had not seen them yet.

The DVD lessons are 25 minutes each. I think I will have her watch the DVD on day one, listen to the CD and do some workbook work on each of the additional 3 days. I am hoping the DVD teaching will help her with retention, which she was missing (mostly due to my lack of teaching). If by the end of the week she needs more review she can watch the DVD again. I am counting on 30 minutes, four times a week.

I started the program with the kids using just the audio cd. We finally tried the DVD lesson a few weeks into it and both kids HATED her so they begged me to do the lessons again :-) I sold the DVD.

we do a lesson a week. The first day we talk about the lesson and listen to the words. The second day we listen again and do half of the lessons student pages. The third day we listen and do the second half of the student pages. The last two days of the week(for us it's only 1 more day...we do a 4 day week) we say everything outloud and review other weeks as well.

the kids have loved Prima Latina!

I think some people either like them or they don't. If you have a good handle on Latin I would say go for it without the DVD's. I know had I not of had the Dvd's though my girls would of lost interest in the program and it would of never of gotten done. Personally the program seems pretty boring without the DVDS. But that's just my two cents about that.

The DVD's are very helpful and my girls enjoyed the teacher that taught PL. Its really up to you but if you are like me and are starting out not knowing any Latin at all then the DVD's are priceless.

May I ask why you switched to Latin for Children???

I switched to LFC because I thought the DVDs were so much more engaging for the kids, and I really didn't want to have to do all the teaching myself. I've been very happy with the switch so far, and we've used LFC for a year now. I just ordered LFC B for my son. My daughter will be starting French.

Please let me know if you have other questions re. LFC. I'd be happy to try to help.

Tiffany