Menu

Right Start Games- do you buy the game or book?

Gwenny

I've been looking into RightStart games as there seems to be nothing but great things said about it. Do those of you that use it buy the package of premade games and cards, or do you purchase the book: Math Card Games by Dr. Joan A. Cotter? Are they the same games? I'm leaning toward the book, but would like to know how others have been using it.

Thanks,

Gwen

Just bought the whole set. I went round and round about it, but am very glad we did it. I think it will be worth it. The book is very overwhelming with 300 games! I wouldn't want to add the making of the cards to the mix. The DVD that comes with book is helpful in gettiqnqg started. I think it was a worthwhile investment - good for many years as kids progress. Good review for older kids to play easier games with younger kids. I also figure that if we can keep it all intact I will be able to sell it at a decent price :). I recommend buying the whole thing. I got free shipping because I purchased it at our convention.

Karen

If you want to use them without purchasing the whole curriculum, you really do need to buy the card games book along with the cards. It would be a huge amount of work to make the cards yourself! (If you're buying the curriculum, you could start with just the cards, and add the book in Level C.)

In case you haven't noticed it, here's a link to the Math Card Games Kit. It is the same price as buying the cards and book separately, and also includes a small abacus and fraction charts.

I had a hard time deciding on this too. We haven't had it long (complete set), but it's been great so far. Even with getting the complete set, I ended up making cards myself for games for my 4 yr old from the resources in the back of the book. We've been playing tally stick memory game. I'm trying to help her see the amounts without having to count the tally sticks. Making the extra cards and laminating them was a chore but worth it. I can't imagine trying to make all the cards myself. It is a good value. It's just a lot of stuff.