Menu

REAL Science Odyssey life science book question

lisasaysto

The Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Natural World is out of print. Is it worth trying to find a used copy or will another book be a good substitute? I'd like to have a good science encyclopedia on hand in case we are running behind on trips to the library.

Thanks, y'all! I'm always hesitant to buy something I can't see samples of. I guess the Internet has spoiled me.

I see the Natural World volume is available used on Amazon in various conditions if anyone who stumbles on this thread wants a copy.

this is really great to know about the natural science volume. i think i'll opt for the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. Do you generally feel it works for early grammar as well as later? Or is it just too heady for lower grammar?

ALSO how does the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia compare to the Kingfisher? I'd really prefer to NOT have a bulk of pages at the front about evolution and all that. we're schooling from creation standpoint.

Edited by greenmamato3
forgot one thing

this is really great to know about the natural science volume. i think i'll opt for the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. Do you generally feel it works for early grammar as well as later? Or is it just too heady for lower grammar?

ALSO how does the Usborne Internet-Linked Science Encyclopedia compare to the Kingfisher? I'd really prefer to NOT have a bulk of pages at the front about evolution and all that. we're schooling from creation standpoint.

I would say the Kingfisher would take you up through 6th grade or so, it is pretty meaty and somethings are a bit over a 1st grade level. You also may not like it because it bills itself as a Science Encyclopedia and does not adapt to a creation standpoint.

I did find an interesting web site that has some other sources http://www.answersincreation.org/homebook.htm but I'm not sure how it will relate to R.E.A.L.

Cheers,

thanks for the look at those. i have a few dinosaur story books that handle that issue, and everything else will be "framed up" by me from a creation standpoint. the reason for avoiding the initial "evolution" pages and "what happened 38 million yrs ago" is b/c DS LOVES to sit and look through encyclopedia type books and there are certain ones that i cant let him just peruse b/c of how incongruent the facts in there are with what we're teaching him. we're not trying to keep him in the dark ... we're just trying to make sure we convey that we believe God formed it all ....

soooo.

i'm debating between the usborne internet-linked science and the kingfisher science. my kingfisher history enc has about 3 or 4 pages of "400 million yrs ago, et al" (ha!), and the usborne internet-linke world history enc has like 15 or 20. :( so if that's the same with the science . . . well, then i have my answer.

anyone know?!