Menu

Where can I get computer help?

I'm just in tears. I can't handle computer stuff.

I have been asking on this board about MP3 players. I finally bought a Sansa Fuze. It doesn't work on my computer. After hours of calls, apparently it's maybe some driver on my computer? I don't know. It's all like speaking Russian to me. I can't ever return it because I have no idea if it's my computer or the MP3 player.

So my boys bought refurbished Ipods. They came today to an unbelievable level of excitement. They don't work on my computer either. I guess because we don't have the latest version of Itunes? But when I try to download the latest version, I can't Something about Windows Installer? I tried to download the new Windows installer stuff but that didn't work.

Okay, honestly, I have no idea what I am doing.

I have a modem to get wireless and a wireless laptop, but no one has ever made it work for more than 5 minutes and I totally don't get what I should try. Again, Russian. I have a thingy that you are supposed to back up all your computer stuff too. DH insisted on buying that, but no one understands how to use it. He also buys stuff like DVD recorders that neither of us can use.

And I have other quirks like a printer that can't print maps.

I'm so so so so sad for my boys who have saved money for months for Ipods and may just have to return them because I can't make my *&%$(% computer work. I have Windows XP. It's maybe 4 years old?

I have ADD and this is one area it really manifests itself. I can study for 10 hours straight when I need to and I was a great law school student and I USED TO BE smart. But I face this wall of frustration over technological stuff and I CAN.NOT.COPE with even trying to read directions and understand it all. DH is completely and utterly hopeless too.

Where can I go for help. I just need some smart guy to come over and fix this for me. I'm so frustrated that I am feeling almost beside myself with self hate and anger.

I don't know what it would cost, but there are computer places that can make a service call. Make a list of everything you need to get working, and get the yellow pages out. I'm pretty sure Office Depot makes house calls (Geek Squad), and I know there's local places around here, so I'm sure you have some too.

In my experience, they think they know a lot more than they do, and they tend to make a lot of things not work in the process of learning how to fix something. I want someone who is actually really knowledgeable and not just messing around. If that's a teenager, great, but I'm not just calling whoever owns an Ipod and assuming he knows how to make my operating system function.

I type in something like "I can't connect my Sanza Fuze Windows XP" and see what comes up.

We went round and round hooking our modem up to the router and I found a website of irate Verizon customers who had solved many problems that tech support couldn't. I printed out the instructions from these regular people and it worked perfectly. Nothing in the Verizon documentation or customer service told us how to solve the problem --- some guy on a forum took the time to post clear and precise instructions that worked.

FWIW, I have many different MP3 players (including an old Sansa) and Windows XP and I just use Windows Media Player to sync all of them. I try not to load the software that comes with the players because I like to just use one program.

I can't help you with the Apple products, but with so many Ipod users out there, I'm sure there is help on the web.

hth

K

If you are willing to try some things, you may be able to solve these problems yourself. I agree with Nicksmama that the web is a great place to get information.

Here are a couple of things you can try that may help:

Download the latest version of windows media player.

Second, with respect to the Fuze, change usb mode to msc mode from auto.

Can you have someone with a good internet connection download the latest version of iTunes onto a CD? Then you could install it from the CD. I've done that to get iTunes onto a computer that didn't have internet access and it worked.

My ds uses his new iPod on a 4 1/2 year old laptop with XP without problem.

I'm just in tears. I can't handle computer stuff.

I have been asking on this board about MP3 players. I finally bought a Sansa Fuze. It doesn't work on my computer. After hours of calls, apparently it's maybe some driver on my computer? I don't know. It's all like speaking Russian to me. I can't ever return it because I have no idea if it's my computer or the MP3 player.

So my boys bought refurbished Ipods. They came today to an unbelievable level of excitement. They don't work on my computer either. I guess because we don't have the latest version of Itunes? But when I try to download the latest version, I can't Something about Windows Installer? I tried to download the new Windows installer stuff but that didn't work.

Okay, honestly, I have no idea what I am doing.

I have a modem to get wireless and a wireless laptop, but no one has ever made it work for more than 5 minutes and I totally don't get what I should try. Again, Russian. I have a thingy that you are supposed to back up all your computer stuff too. DH insisted on buying that, but no one understands how to use it. He also buys stuff like DVD recorders that neither of us can use.

And I have other quirks like a printer that can't print maps.

I'm so so so so sad for my boys who have saved money for months for Ipods and may just have to return them because I can't make my *&%$(% computer work. I have Windows XP. It's maybe 4 years old?

I have ADD and this is one area it really manifests itself. I can study for 10 hours straight when I need to and I was a great law school student and I USED TO BE smart. But I face this wall of frustration over technological stuff and I CAN.NOT.COPE with even trying to read directions and understand it all. DH is completely and utterly hopeless too.

Where can I go for help. I just need some smart guy to come over and fix this for me. I'm so frustrated that I am feeling almost beside myself with self hate and anger.

Most local computer stores have a tech that will come out to the house for a fee too. Our newspaper is full of people that offer in-home services of this kind.

Geek Squad is an option (they offer online help too - check the website).

I'd come give it a whirl but i bet you aren't nearby.

If you haven't been to apple.com/support - then check there too, they normally have good help with clear directions.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Hang in there :grouphug: