Menu

what do I do about our kitchen table?

The owners left behind a kitchen table for us. It's wood. When I put things on it, they all stick. Books especially. Things like workbooks, those types of covers, I end up sort of peeling off the table. I've cleaned it, there is nothing on the table. It's almost like the varnish is sort of gummy. Can I fix it or clean it with something new?

Vinyl tablecloth. THAT can stick all it wants, and you can wipe it clean. Otherwise I'd buy some paint remover and scrapers, sanders, and refinish the table.

Exactly what I was thinking. Gummy varnish isn't really something you can "fix". You either cover it or refinish it. (Oh, and don't use a nice, flannel backed vinyl tablecloth - you'll just end up with lint embedded in the gummy varnish. :ack2: )

I'd use Formby's Furniture Rescue or Furniture Refinisher. It is the furniture version of removing clear nail polish from the finish. The color will remain, but the gummy coating will be removed. Remove the finish, then wipe with mineral spirits. Afterward, sand it lightly with high-grit paper, wipe with a slightly damp cloth to remove the dust, and put a clear coat on it.

Lisa