Menu

Help with getting ds started on a writing assignment

He's to compare/contrast government of Rome with today's government.

I've got the ideas to help with the Roman aspect of gov't but need some help with the today's part. One suggestion is to compare George Bush's role with the role of Caesar.

My mind is a blank~~

He's to compare/contrast government of Rome with today's government.

I've got the ideas to help with the Roman aspect of gov't but need some help with the today's part. One suggestion is to compare George Bush's role with the role of Caesar.

My mind is a blank~~

You really need to be more specific. Are you talking Republic or Empire? Which Caesar?

It says one option would be comparing/contrasting Cladius as Caesar with George W. Bush as President. Lack of oversight, self aggrandizement, power hungry, neglect of entire classes of people, checks and balances, humility of position utilizing advisors and committees, and ideal of good of common people are some topics to research I guess.

It also gives the choice of being counterintuitive to what people would expect to write about - their differences between the two governments - and instead write about some similarities. Corruption, national pride, and I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I don't really know where to steer ds in getting started, I'm having trouble myself.

Kidding, but she can totally freeze up on a writing assignment.

There are some great chart-like things available to help with a compare/contrast paper....hang on, let me find the link, ok, I couldn't find the link I was looking for, but these may help.

http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/compcontrast/map/

http://www.readwritethink.org/lesson_images/lesson275/compcon_chart.pdf

http://www.teach-nology.com/web_tools/graphic_org/venn_diagrams/

... just throwing out ideas to get the writer's juices flowing might be of help. No such thing as too off the wall. He might get an idea to run with.

I say this because my ds wrote a paper in either 7/8 grade that was my first glimpse into the fact that my mathie son was also a very good writer with some insight. Topic? Reflections of the Roman Empire in Star Wars. Haha! While that is not the topic that you are looking to address, it really showed me that a little unexpected twist can do wonders.

Here are some quickie ideas we brainstormed this morning that might get it started.

*Senate/Tribune -Senate/House

*Noble beginning in ideals to big government

*Roman law/citizenship ideas reflected in our law/citizenship

Good luck!

Susie