Menu

Broken glass on iPhone....HELP!

Howdy,

My amazing new gadget now has a broken glass front. It is shattered but actually still works. It's hard to see but still responds to touch. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else. The store won't help me out without buying an entire new phone which seems crazy because it actually works. I've looked on-line and it seems difficult but possible to replace the glass. I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have tried and succeeded at it.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Julie in Monterey

My DH replaced the screen on one of our video iPods. (Not the Touch, so I don't know how much more difficult it would be to replace the touch screen on your iPhone.)

He just ordered it online and followed the directions... thankfully it went well!!

I'm surprised the apple store won't do the repair for you. :confused:

APple is fixing them for a fee i think.

I haven't checked the tear down guides to see how hard it is - i'm sure someone at iLounge or MacRumors could tell you. I"m not sure if having Apple do it would keep your warranty in place or not.

I see videos of doing it on YouTube while hunting for the official link...

Here is a BLOG i found talking about someones experience using a service.

I'm not afraid to "dig in" to electronics, and i have years of experience, and I broke the cable on my iPod trying to fix it last year. It was a total moron moment for me, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it should have been (mainly in the case cracking area - i'd buy the tool if they have one).

http://www.libbyh.com/2009/03/03/review-iphone-glass-replacement-from-mission-repair/

This happened with my brand new Macbook, the screen is cracked but it still works fine. Apple said it would cost almost $900 to repair, practically a new laptop!:001_huh:

One thing I did learn though is that if you paid for it with AMEX and it's been less than 30 days, they may pay for your repair. You'd have to file a claim with them.

Apple will replace the phone for $199. They will not repair the phone. I copied this from http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty4.

1. Out-of-Warranty Service
  2. If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPhone with a new or refurbished iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

1. iPhone 3GS

Out-of-Warranty Service16GB & 32GB$199iPhone 3GOut-of-Warranty Service8GB, 16GB$199Original iPhoneOut-of-Warranty Service4GB, 8GB & 16GB$199

1. *All fees are in US dollars and exclude applicable taxes
  2. For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.
  3. Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

Another option would be to buy a water damaged phone from ebay. You would then need to do the repair yourself or hire a techy teen or adult to make the repair for you. I had a water damaged iphone and I gave it to someone whose wife had a broken glass screen.

You might want to consider buying an otter box case for your next iphone. It's bulky and not sleek but it's an armor like tank for your phone. You can see videos about it on YouTube. You'll see folks submerging the Otter Box covered phone in a sink of water. A paramedic just came into my office and said his iphone survived a five foot wall in the Otter Box Tank!

I really like the protection of the Otter Box. They sell them for $50 at AT & T,however, I bought mine from Amazon for $31.99 with free shipping.

I live in a tropical area where it can rain without hardly any warning. I also walk one hr per day.

I learned from my salesman that if you get one drop of water in the charging area the metal can oxidize. I got a small amount of water in my old iphone where the charger is inserted. The phone still worked but would no longer charge.

HTH!

Atleast in Austin Tx there are places that will repair the glass if your phone still works. A bit pricey $99 but better than replacing the phone. They also have a mail-in service but I would bet if we have it here in Austin, alot of other similar size cities do also. Here is the site if you want to use them http://www.iphonerepairaustin.com/ . I second the otterbox recommendation. It does make it bulky but with a 6 and 7 yr old entralled with my iphone it is worth it. Hope this helps..I "love" my iphone and would be heartbroken if it were to get damaged.

Adrianne in TX

DS 7 DD6