Menu

Help finding reasonably priced historic costumes for kids (or patterns)?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Does anyone know of a web site that sells reasonably priced historic costumes for children? I'm looking for a little of everything. My kids love to play pretend and dress-up more than anything, so I thought I would buy (or make, but would much prefer to buy--I'm a quilter, not a seamstress!) costumes from all the different eras for our two year study of American history that we're starting this fall. I want anything and everything you can think of but I want it in one place. I can find some here and some there but surely there is some kind of major supplier somewhere that offers free shipping if I spend enough (and with three kids to outfit, that's a sure thing).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Most of the major pattern companies (Simplicity, Butterick, McCall's, maybe Vogue?) sell historical costume patterns. If you keep your eye out for pattern sales at your local fabric store (it seems like JoAnn has something for $0.99 or $1.99 at least once a month) you could get some patterns pretty cheaply that way.

Every year the ps around here have a Colonial Day.

For boys:

She purchases a vest from Goodwill. The boys wear it over a long sleeved dress shirt.

She takes a pair of dark pants that are too short and shortens them to just below the knee and then gathers them at the hem and creates ties for them out of the cut-off material. They wear this with some girls white knee highs.

For girls, she finds some drapery material and makes simple skirts with drawstring waists. They wear them with blouses and vests from goodwill.

hth

K

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Most of the major pattern companies (Simplicity, Butterick, McCall's, maybe Vogue?) sell historical costume patterns. If you keep your eye out for pattern sales at your local fabric store (it seems like JoAnn has something for $0.99 or $1.99 at least once a month) you could get some patterns pretty cheaply that way.

Thanks. I only have Hobby Lobby locally and they're hit or miss. When I looked last month, the selection was terrible. I guess when we get closer to Halloween, I'll have more options. Hopefully they will run sales then too.

I would really love to buy everything I can ready made though. I'm prepared to hit all the stores this Halloween for anything that might fit the bill. Normally I shop November 1 for sales on dress-up clothes but this year I might have to buy before Halloween to ensure that anything I want is still available.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Every year the ps around here have a Colonial Day.

For boys:

She purchases a vest from Goodwill. The boys wear it over a long sleeved dress shirt.

She takes a pair of dark pants that are too short and shortens them to just below the knee and then gathers them at the hem and creates ties for them out of the cut-off material. They wear this with some girls white knee highs.

For girls' date=' she finds some drapery material and makes simple skirts with drawstring waists. They wear them with blouses and vests from goodwill.

hth

K[/quote']

This sounds really good and simple too. Thanks!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I am PMing you with some links (not sure if I'm allowed to post these here or not, so I'll just send them to you).

Hope they help! :)

I got them and they are wonderful! I might see if she'll give me a discount if I promise her two years of business for three kids...Native American through poodle skirts and beyond...I could give her a lot of business. I'll just chalk up the costs to school uniforms. :lol:

Thanks so much!

You can also watch eBay for the patterns designed by Butterick and such. Many sellers have them. Many times the companies have the same patterns for years, but change the envelope or change the number to make them look different. We have bought patterns as cheap as $1 plus shipping thta way.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
You can also watch eBay for the patterns designed by Butterick and such. Many sellers have them. Many times the companies have the same patterns for years, but change the envelope or change the number to make them look different. We have bought patterns as cheap as $1 plus shipping thta way.

Thanks for this. I'll keep a look out. :001_smile:

If anyone knows of any other resources for buying ready-made, I'd love to hear about them. I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of commissioning some from another SAHM after some of the links here.