Menu

Please help! Interest-led American History or continue 4-yr cycle?

Annabel Lee

I'm pulling my hair out here over this. My 8-yo son loves American History and really wants to study it this year in homeschool. We are still on our 1st year of the 4-yr. cycle; Ancients (SOTW). I got to look through WP's The Story of the Americas 1 yesterday at a friends house (who, btw, has boys the exact age and grade of mine) and it looked neat. It looked like they would really enjoy it, and I would love to have a daily schedule like that. These friends live about a 5-min. drive from us, and since they are using that this year, we could get together for history projects. My boys are excited over the possibility of doing this.

But like always, I had to go over the idea with a fine-toothed comb. I listened to one of SWB's CDs and now have these questions about this WP program:

1. Does it include guided questions that lead toward a narration? No matter what program I use, I want to have the type of questions and narrations in SOTW; WTM-style.

2. Is the reading material of good quality? Is it literature that will help prepare them for a Great Books study in high school? I really prefer our school books to be classics or kid-versions of classics, although some are hit-and-miss with the kids.

I feel nervous about jumping off the 4-yr. cycle for 2 years of American hist. We'd be returning to it when my older ds is in 5th grade, so it would be time to start the cycle again then anyhow. If I do this WP American Story 1 & then 2, will I rob my kids of the mental pegs (Middle Ages, what was happening in the rest of the world) that would have been created to later hang deeper info upon?

Please weigh in w/ your thoughts, pros and cons.

Thanks!

I can't tell you anything about WP, but if your son is that interested in American history, it sounds like you could have a great year if you follow his lead. He will probably learn a ton since he wants to study it.

I do not follow the 4 year cycle myself, though. I use SL and we spent a year on geography as well.

Lisa

I vote for American History too, especially since he wants to do it. And when you think about it, SOTW 3 & 4 are pretty closely aligned to two years of US history. Here's my history plan for the next few years:

American History (Literature, History Pockets & Audio CD's)

World Geography & Cultures (probably CLE text a la MFW style)

Ancient - Middle Ages (SOTW 1 & 2)

Renaissance - Modern (MOH 3 & 4)

Sorry I can't answer about WP. If you want great literature with narration questions, how about using Sonlight or Beautiful Feet and then join your friends for WP projects?

You could use SOTW 3. It does include alot of American History, more than I thought it would when I purchased it. It's not just American History but you could use it as a spine and add the books from WP AS 1 that you like. I've only used one year of WP (Animals and Their Worlds) but it did not include the type of questions that you are wanting. I've used several different things over the years and the only things I've seen that do that are the SOTW series and Heart of Dakota, which integrates it thoroughly. HOD even goes further than SOTW and will tell the child exactly what to do, how many sentences are required.

Absolutely follow his lead on this.

He WANTS to do it. Imagine what he will learn and keep with him because he is motivated and passionate.

Sometimes we have get off our theory of education and just do what is there.

I do not think you will regret this at all....letting him follow his passion while it is still a desire. Who knows - he might end up in politics and be the man we need running our country (or helping to run it).

Absolutely follow his lead on this.

He WANTS to do it. Imagine what he will learn and keep with him because he is motivated and passionate.

Sometimes we have get off our theory of education and just do what is there.

I do not think you will regret this at all....letting him follow his passion while it is still a desire. Who knows - he might end up in politics and be the man we need running our country (or helping to run it).

The part I highlighted in red - you are so right. This is where he is at - I should really just embrace his desire to learn more in this area and go with it. His friend (the one doing WP AM 1 next year) is very interested in it too, so his mom and I are hoping that their enthusiasm for it will help excite our youngest ones too. I don't know if I'll settle on WP or not, but I do think we're going to rabbit-trail deeply into American History for a couple years.

Thanks for the reassurance, ladies. Sometimes it's scary to get off my idealistic educational theories. ;)