Menu

Math dilemma...re: MUS, TT, & Saxon

Mommy7

I have been using Saxon 2 this year with my 1st grader. She has been doing well, but I have not...too teacher intensive. I own TT4, 5, & 7 so far. My goal is to eventually have all my dc using it. I think it is a great program.

My dilemma is that I do not wish to teach Saxon 3 next year. I don't have time for it. So, I was considering going back to MUS. When I had my dd take the placement test for Alpha, she made a 73%. She has obviously not mastered single digit addition and subtraction. (Or was she just tired? It was the end of the day...and she had been playing outside...)

So, do I start with Alpha? and if I do, would you think she would be ready for TT4 after Beta or Gamma? It is such a different style that it is hard for me to tell.

Saxon seems more the style of TT, but I don't want to teach the dreaded Level 3 next year. It is too time consuming.

Any ideas? I would be so grateful. (I already own MUS up to Delta....)

Edited by Mommy7

Well, if I were you, I'd be celebrating! Because I'd move from Saxon 2 right into TT4! Saxon is a bit advanced, and TT is behind. Saxon 2 deals with addition and subtraction, no? If so, then bammo, just go to TT4.

I wouldn't do MUS if you're gung ho for TT, because Alpha deals with addition and Beta deals with subtraction, so ya, if that's covered already, then just move into TT4. :D Yup. I'd be celebrating!

You know, that is exactly what I was thinking. I've heard TT described as "a year behind." So, I thought we could move right into TT4 after Saxon 2 also. But, then, I had her attempt the placement test.

It was a total bomb! The first question asked her to tell what the 8 in something like 843 stood for. She looked VERY unsure and asked if it stood for 8; then greatly hesitated and asked if it was 800? She looked almost as if she was guessing! I have to say I was pretty shocked because I thought she had done pretty well with Saxon 2. But, if she doesn't understand place value, I'm thinking we better back up...waaay up! Wouldn't you agree?

So, then I had her take the placement test for Alpha. I thought she would really ace it. Nooooo! She made a 73% on the single digit math fact part. We didn't even make it to the word problem part. (I do plan to have her retake the test because she had just come in from playing outside when she took it...I know, I know...terrible timing...but, I really had it on my mind, so I thought we'd try it. Then again, if she really knew it, wouldn't she have done okay?)

That is why I am seriously considering MathUSee. It is so good for cementing the foundational stuff. I wondered if we could go to TT4 after going through Alpha (rather quickly) and Beta for 2nd grade; then Gamma for 3rd.

Anyone have any other ideas???

Edited by Mommy7

I wouldn't do MUS for a year. I would see if you daughter could handle TT4 instead. An alternative approach might be to use Saxon 3, but do the abbreviated version. No meeting and you teach the lesson very quickly with no frills. Fact sheets can be foregone in favor of 5 minutes of flash cards. Then have her do one side of the worksheet and be done.

"If the student’s score falls below this level, our new Math 3 Teaching Textbook (which is coming out in the Fall of 2009) is probably a better starting point. "

That is on the Teaching Textbooks site. Maybe TT3 would be better for you?

IMHO, Saxon 2 isn't really ahead, more like on level or slightly below for some kids. I see why it was a leap to go from trying Saxon 2 to TT 4.

Since you already have MUS then I say go for it. You could breeze through alot of alpha, basically making sure she hasn't missed anything, then start on Beta. If she get's the info in Alpha, then I wouldn't have her do every single page. You could do at least one main lesson page and one review page, just to make sure your getting things. We started MUS with my then 8 yr old and he breezed through Alpha, but there were still some challenging moments.

I don't know where TT 4 begins, although I have heard rumors that it is slightly behind, so depending on where it starts you might be able to skip Gamma, or just use parts of Gamma and skip the double digit multiplication.

HTH,

Alison