Menu

Michigan

Guest cmarcy

Hello! I am also from Michigan and just now beginning the search for a curriculum to use for my to homeschooled girls (4 and 1). We are members of a wonderful homeschool Co-Op and I know a couple of other moms who use this teaching method. So far I am loving what I am reading and am seriously considering jumping in with both feet. But, it is also the first curriculum I have really looked at, so I feel like I should also look around a bit more. My gut feeling is that we will be teaching using this model. Marcy

My oldest son just turned 5 actually and this is our first year using the classical method. Part of my finding homeschooling families around here is I don't know anyone else using the same method. The one co-op that I know of... I think Xander is too young. I also am afraid that he won't fit in because he's because he's accelerated (He's doing first grade work right now).

Hey! Welcome. I'm also in the metro-Detroit area!! We have a coop near us that was wonderful, but my high-needs firstborn really didn't do well there. So, we're not involved in anything with other homeschoolers. We've found it helpful to get involved in other activities for the kids. I come here for support! (Oh - I also call my mom every other day or so!! She's a great supporter of homeschooling!)

• 1 month later...

We're in the Metro Detroit area, also. (I grew up in SW Michigan, but I'm here now!) My 4-year-old is going to be doing some 1st grade stuff starting in the fall. We're doing kindergarten through Calvert right now, but she taught herself to read last fall using Starfall. (When tested in November at 3-1/2 years old, she was on a mid 1st grade reading level.) That makes it really hard for us to continue using an all-in-one curriculum, even though it is a very nice program. So, starting in the fall we're going to be doing a modified WTM approach. I already have my science and history materials, and I'm really looking forward to getting started.

My 3-year-old daughter is also going to be starting something a little more structured, but I'm not sure what yet. She said she wants to learn to read, so I'm trying to find something that will suit her learning style.

Feel free to contact me if any of you would like to get together sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in contact with another lady from this board and we were thinking of trying to get an outing together. We were thinking of maybe a zoo trip or I've suggested Greenfield Village or The Henry Ford Museum. Nothing is set in stone and we've only just begun talking about it... but if anyone was interested... I think it would be a lot of fun.

I've been in contact with another lady from this board and we were thinking of trying to get an outing together. We were thinking of maybe a zoo trip or I've suggested Greenfield Village or The Henry Ford Museum. Nothing is set in stone and we've only just begun talking about it... but if anyone was interested... I think it would be a lot of fun.

We're in SE Michigan, and right down the road from Greenfield Village. We've been using TWTM off and on for about 4 years. I take bits and pieces and use what I can.

There are a few of us from my local Dearborn homeschooling/bible study group that are planning outings and trips over the summer. I'm not sure how often we'll meet, but getting together is always fun! One group meets once a month but is on hold for a bit, and another small group of us meets weekly.

If we can fit things in, we'd love meeting up with people.

I just found out from a neighbor that there is another homeschooling family half way down our street (across an intersection so we just never venture that way with the littles), so we're hoping to meet them this summer.

• 1 month later...

Hi Heather in NC and MySerenity,

We live in SE Michigan as well and will be beginning our fifth year homeschooling in September. I have two sons, a ten yo and a five yo. We love Greenfield Village, and The Henry Ford has a chocolate exhibit that we've been wanting to check out. Have any plans been worked out yet for a get-together? If so, is there room for another family?

I know I'm late (this thread started in May, I think) but I just recently found out about TWTM site. We've been classical schoolers since the beginning, and we love it.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

PAM in MI

Guest rprimeau95

Hi I live in Saint Clair County, Mi anyone close by? I am new to this forum hope to get to know you all well. We are involved in "Excel group" on Tuesdays here. This next session I will be teaching crafts to 1st and 2nd graders

Rabecca I am a SAHM/WAHM to 5 children son 21ys, daughter 11, son 5.5, son 3.5 and daughter 22months and married to dh Stacy.