Menu

medical? stings

On Sat evening, I was at the pool, there had been a storm so there were leaves in the pool and I was picking a few up, while watching my son. Something stung the tip of my picky. Whatever it was was not or no longer was attached to an animal, so it could have been plant matter, I don't know. I pulled out some sort of stinger. It really hurt. It seemed like it hurt more than a wasp sting, but it's been several years since I was stung.

The tip of my pinky swelled. It did not swell hugely,but it is definitely swollen and was swollen more yesterday than Saturday night. It's pink too. This morning the middle section of my pinky is swollen and itchy. The tip portion does not and did not feel itchy. The second portion is itchy, swollen. Again not hugely swollen, but the skin is tight.

I did not take anything for the sting. The lifeguard put something called sting be gone on it.

Is this the normal progression of a sting healing. Should I take something now. Should I be concerned that the affect seems to be worse after almost 2 days.

Try Epsom salt water. My dd got bit by something on her big toe when she was about 2. Her whole foot swelled up. Dr. said epsom salt pulls the poison out. She said to soak it as long as dd could stand to sit there. We've used it on all kinds of "bites" and it has worked every time. You may have to soak it several times a day. Or you could take an antihistimine to counter act the reaction.

Be very careful and make sure the redness and swelling aren't increasing to nearby areas. If so, you may very well have cellulitis which is serious. If it was an insect sting like a wasp, it is very likely to get cellulitis since they inject bacteria into you along with the venom. My dd got cellulitis two out of three times she had a wasp sting. (SHe also developed an allergy and had a delayed anaphalactic reaction of about 27 hours later the last time).

antihistamines will help with swelling, meat tenderizer diluted in water also helps.

I agree! Make a paste of meat tenderizer and water and put it on for about half an hour and then wash it off. Take and antihistamine along with it and you should be fine.