Menu

Anyone use Homeschool Skedtrack?

... and so far I totally love it! You can do report cards and transcripts with it. You can copy an entire course over to another student. It helps you keep track of hours and days your children are in school. (We don't have to track any of that here, but if we ever move it would be nice to have a system in place, so I plan on doing it anyway.) I'm very excited to use it for my planning starting in the fall. Heck, I might even use it for our lighter summer term, just to get used to using it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ScottS
I found the link for this on another thread, and it looks very thorough and easy to use for record keeping. Does anyone use this or has anyone tried this? What are your likes and dislikes about it? I think I might try it out for next year.

Homeschool Skedtrack

We just started using it this summer. We've tried the on-paper homeschool organizers and have never been very consistent in keeping up with them. One difficulty we've had with paper-based organizers and with software that's locally installed is that it doesn't work so well when both parents are actively involved in homeschooling. Since this program is online and available anywhere, my wife can keep our progress up-to-date for her activities with the children on the family computer downstairs, and I can make my own updates from my work laptop.

In addition, the flexible scheduling procedure works really well for "semi-organized" homeschoolers. For most subjects we're organized enough to have an ordered list of activities, but we don't have to specify exactly what day we'll do them. For any given day, the scheduling program assumes you'll do the next unfinished activity for any subject scheduled for that day -- so we can schedule Math for 5 days/week, but Art for just one or two days, and depending on what day it is the appropriate subjects show up on the schedule for "today" -- you just need to check them off as done. If you've got some subjects where there isn't a detailed daily plan, then you don't have to enter activities ahead of time. The entry for "today" will be left blank, so you can fill it in as you mark it completed. In addition, it's easy to add/rearrange scheduled activities if you decide to skip around. If you take an unplanned sick/vacation day, then the missed activities automatically show up for the next day's schedule.

I haven't done much with the reporting features yet, so I can't say how well those work.

I found the link for this on another thread, and it looks very thorough and easy to use for record keeping. Does anyone use this or has anyone tried this? What are your likes and dislikes about it? I think I might try it out for next year.

Homeschool Skedtrack

Thanks for the link. This really looks good for organizing your homeschool.

Thanks for the link! I checked this out and literally, in a minute or less, set up an account. Then, I entered dk names, and tonight I will go back and do more. I was thinking today that it was time to get into the 'admin' part of homeschooling (and STOP buying curriculum! :tongue_smilie:) AND I think I will really like their system.

Thanks again!

Just two things off the top of my head I would change if I could:

1. The ability to have the student complete more than 1 activity in a subject per day. Right now if your student does this, you have to merge the activities together to be on the same day. I asked about this in the forum and there answer is here:

https://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48&sid=c4f8e2c91a252dc6cdf4d3b482936876

2. I wish it was possible to add another teacher login.

https://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54&sid=b3e8dc02a2e0b2c58f4863c2f39618b6

However, these are pretty many things - and over all I am very happy with Skedtrack.

I like the fact that it is really easy to set up - though it can be time consuming depending on how much detail you put in. For a free online program, it has a lot of bells and whistles. It has helped me from getting overwhelmed during those weeks where things are crazy. They did a great job with it, and if they get to a point where they go to a pay service, I will seriously consider continuing with it. This is one of those few free services that totally violates that "get what you pay for" rule, haha. Very good quality.

They also can create transcripts now. I haven't yet, but will probably do that every quarter or so starting in the fall.

Just two things off the top of my head I would change if I could:

1. The ability to have the student complete more than 1 activity in a subject per day. Right now if your student does this, you have to merge the activities together to be on the same day. I asked about this in the forum and there answer is here:

https://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48&sid=c4f8e2c91a252dc6cdf4d3b482936876

2. I wish it was possible to add another teacher login.

https://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54&sid=b3e8dc02a2e0b2c58f4863c2f39618b6

However, these are pretty many things - and over all I am very happy with Skedtrack.

I like the fact that it is really easy to set up - though it can be time consuming depending on how much detail you put in. For a free online program, it has a lot of bells and whistles. It has helped me from getting overwhelmed during those weeks where things are crazy. They did a great job with it, and if they get to a point where they go to a pay service, I will seriously consider continuing with it. This is one of those few free services that totally violates that "get what you pay for" rule, haha. Very good quality.

They also can create transcripts now. I haven't yet, but will probably do that every quarter or so starting in the fall.

You sure can't beat free!:001_smile:

Quote:

FAQ

1. Why is Homeschool Skedtrack offered for free, what's the catch?

We believe that being organized in the scheduling of activities and tracking the progress of the students is a very good practice in a home school. We have benefited much from this tool and sharing it with the home school community is the best that we can do. There is no catch, we adhere to the community business model, and we rely on your donations and sponsors that advertise on our site.

2. How safe are my children's information?

Please read our
    Privacy Policy
    for details. As a highlight the information that you provide for your children are accessible only by whom you allow access through your account and our Database Support Team. As explained in our privacy policy statistics on the top reads, hobbies, field trip locations, and resources may also be collected without identifying you in any way. In relation to backing up your data, we back-up your data daily.

3. How secure are my transactions over the Internet?

All sensitive information that goes through the Internet between Homeschool Skedtrack server and the user's browser are encrypted. Homeschool Skedtrack uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL), the same technology that is used when you pay bills online.

http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/HomeSchool/help/faq.htm