Menu

Autism in PA

We are considering moving to PA. Specifically Monroe, Northampton, lehigh, or bucks county? Currently we live in CA. My 11 yo goes to nonpublic school from 9am to 3pm and then receives 20 hrs at home each week with college students certified in ABA. My 13 yo goes to public school (not main stream) from 8:40am to 3:10 with 15 hours of home program per week.

How are the PA public school programs for autistics?

How available are the after school programs? in home and outside the home?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I live in Bucks County. I think the schools here are very good. I don't know what the special education services are like in CA, but there are many autistic support/ABA classrooms in Bucks. We are in the Palisades district.

May daughter does not have a formal diagnosis or autism, but she is profoundly MR with autistic tendancies. She is in an autistic support classroom right now because that seems to be the most appropriate setting for her. You mentioned that your dd goes to private school. How pays? Here, there are approved private schools (APS), but it is sometimes difficult for the district to agree to pay. You must be able to make a case that none of the in district or out of district schools can meet her needs.

As far as other services, that really depends on her level of cognitive functioning. We have a waiver program through the state MH/MR office that funds services for families with children with MR. There needs to be an MR diagnosis to qualify for services. Familes of children with autism sometimes decide to go through IQ testing and get an MR diagnosis to qualify for services. Once on the waiver, funds are allocated toward respite and home care. This is what we use and it's been a lifesaver for our family.

Unfortunately, there is a long way to go in providing services for children with autism.

I hope some of this was helpful. Please feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Blessings,

Lisa

Obviously, services will vary district to district, but have you considered NJ? It is a very active state in terms of autism services (well, NJ has the highest percentage of AS diagnoses in the U.S.). There is also a new law pending that will mandate insurance coverage for AS.

http://wcbstv.com/local/autism.health.care.2.1063037.html

Aspen NJ is a good source of info.

Sorry, I know this is not answering the question you asked, but Bucks Co is so close to NJ that I thought I'd chime in here.

I'm late on this one, but I live in Monroe County and have been unable to secure ANY services for my high-functioning aspie. Friends of mine who have children with more obvious needs (academically and behaviorally) have had more success, but only through in-school services.

This is what sparked our interest in homeschooling.