Menu

Which is better? Buy or borrow?

I'm done with all our curriculum purchases and am now starting to organize our history (we'll be doing HO Level 1, Middle Ages).

I'm wondering if it's worth it to purchase books from the book list or should I just get them from the library? I'm trying to be realistic in that I'll have a new baby and getting to library with 5 little kids is not going to be as fun as it used to be.

This year we did the library for history and I didn't mind it. We have an excellent system, so finding books wasn't a problem for me. But is it worth it to buy the books?? If I buy them, should I just pick 1 or 2 from each lesson or is that too much?

I have no idea as to what I should do!

Liz in NC

I bought the books for HO Ancients 2 and really regretted it. I borrowed for HO Middle Ages 2 and was glad I did.

However, I have an only child and the library is on the way to the YMCA that I frequent regularly.

If money is not an issue, buy them. For the reasons you stated and more:

multiple children, new baby, possibly reusing with subsequent children, timing of the books in the lessons, it will make your life easier. If money is an issue, it could be used more wisely perhaps. Only you can decide.

HTH!

Does your library allow you to place a hold on books? I used to buy all mine but, well, spent way too much (though with late fees at the library it might be close :) ). However, I can place holds on books and wait until several of them come in at a time, then I just run in and pick up the stack. That way you wouldn't have to take all the kids or could just run in and out quickly?? Just a thought.

Good luck,

We've used Biblioplan rather than HO, but it's similar in that we've had to choose between buying and borrowing books. Year one I relied on the library and consequently (due to multiple ages, family and health issues, etc), we missed out on some books I'd hoped to read. The following year I longed for the convenience of a package but wanted to stick to BP, so I went through the schedule and noted which books would be used throughout, which for more than a week or two, and which I just wanted to own and thought would make good additions to our home library. I also checked our interlibrary loan system to find out what books I could borrow, and found several older, out of print books I really wanted to include. I rationalized (justly, I think), that we will be repeating the history cycle several more times and regardless of what program we use, good, classic materials won't go to waste. So those books, I ordered. I found many on Amazon, often used and quite reasonable in cost, and some older books on ebay much more cheaply than I'd expected. We used the library a lot for the others, and ack, our fines were still outrageous. Maybe this year I should buy more!

Again, I know it's a different program, but that was my logic.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Can you access your library's account on line, put books on hold and pick them up? That takes 5 minutes then. You can also come to the library whenever they have some kids/toddler's program, and then you get two benefits at once.

I would say borrow, unless you will use it for more then one year (like a History or Geography Atlas).

You can do what I'm trying to do. I'm making a list of books I'm interested in using. If they are available through my library, I'm checking them out now to see if I like them enough to buy them.

I tried to borrow most books this past year, and we missed a lot. It's hard to stay on schedule if the books you've placed on hold take longer than usual to arrive. I will say there were books I'm glad I didn't buy after reading them. That's why I'm trying to "screen" books first during the summer.

You can do what I'm trying to do. I'm making a list of books I'm interested in using. If they are available through my library, I'm checking them out now to see if I like them enough to buy them.

I tried to borrow most books this past year, and we missed a lot. It's hard to stay on schedule if the books you've placed on hold take longer than usual to arrive. I will say there were books I'm glad I didn't buy after reading them. That's why I'm trying to "screen" books first during the summer.

:iagree::iagree: :iagree:

I just purchased all the books on the list for HO Level 2 (and some for Level 1) Ancients and have been prereading them. Boy do I wish I had ordered and preread from the library!! For example: it doesn't really matter which book you read your Greek myths out of since the HO guide just tells you when to start, there's no comprehension or follow-up questions. The Homer was okay but the Tales of Ancient Egypt: snore-fest! If I can't stay focused how on earth is my easily distractable dd going to stay focused?:confused:.

Some were good, some not so good. I'd preread from the library then get what you want to cover those times/themes. IMHO.