Menu

Spelling for a 4th grader

jg_puppy

I am not sure what I want to use with my dd next year. This year we have used a combination of dictation and Apples and Pears spelling (we have only completed half of a book so far). Both are helping, but I don't think either one alone is quite what my dd needs.

I just used an online test today and her scores have a huge gap. Her word regcogntion is a high 12th (5 grade levels higher than when she look this same test 4 months ago). Reading comprehension is low 8th grade (almost 2 grade levels higher than last time.) Spelling is a high second grade (.33 grade levels higher than last time).

I am not sure where to go with her. I really like Apples and Pears, but I know that it alone is not enough for her. I have Megawords to use. I had not started it yet because I was waiting for her to be in 4th grade. Any other programs that I should look at? The only program that I really don't want is All About Spelling. I have level one of the program and I would like to use it, but it just doesn't get done. I need something that will get done.

Jan

What online test did you use? I've been looking for an online spelling test, is it free? Just curious!

The test I gave was the Lets Go Learn DORA test (Diagnostic Online Reading Assessment). It is normally $20 for the test, but Homeschool Buyers Co-op offers a discount. I don't know exactly how accurate the test is, but I have given it a few times and compare my dd score from one time to the next.

Jan

I'm going to use Phonetic Zoo with my 4th grader. She is a kinesthetic/auditory learner so I think it will be a good match for her.

For my older DD who is a visual learner we are going to use Spelling Wisdom by Simply Charlotte Mason.

I detest giving spelling tests and end up not doing them. I actually enjoy giving dictation so Spelling Wisdom is a good fit, and Phonetic Zoo can be completely independent so I'm not planning to give any tests with that either.

Phonetic Zoo has a placement test and Spelling Wisdom has samples on their site for you to assess the correct placement.

My online spelling lessons would be a good start, very non-teacher intensive!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellinglessonsl.html

Very efficient and non-teacher intensive, with the most common words and most frequently misspelled words, 1,000 words total, Spelling Plus. If she needs to use them in writing to retain them, the author (Susan C. Anthony) has a companion book, Spelling Dictation. They are both available at RR, search by the titles.

The words are arranged by rule and pattern, and easiest words and rules taught first, you figure out where you need to start and begin there.

I will look at Spelling Wisdom and Phonetic Zoo. My dd mentioned to me yesterday that she is a visual learner so Phonetic Zoo might be difficult for her. I don't like given spelling tests either. My dd will learn the words easily for the test then promptly forget them.

I have the book Spelling Plus. I love the Dictation book, but the Spelling Plus book didn't work very well. I think I need a little more hand holding of what to do with the words to help her understand why you spell things a certain way.

I am starting to think maybe I should go through something like SWR myself, and then I would be better prepared to help her.

I would love to find a placement test where I would know exactly what type of mistakes she is making. The test she took only gave me one example. She spelled trudge - trug. I know one of the first things we need to cover.

Jan

Edited by jg_puppy