Menu

Singapore Math - why so many choices?

mollies73

There are so many kinds of singapore math. My son did the Primary Math US edition last year. Now as I've looked through them, I'm wondering what is the difference between them, and should I be using a different edition? There's the Math Works, Primary Math, Primary Math Standards, Primary Math US, Thinking Math, and that's just grades 1-6. I did see a chart at one time with the Primary math vs. US Primary Math; but I was confused. It didn't make sense. Has anyone else figured it all out?

And...does anyone use this with older grades? I noticed they don't have Algebra, Geometry, Trig, ect. Do they incorporate algebra and geometry each year? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Well, I'm no expert on Singapore. We've only been doing it for 2 years, but I believe the difference between the Standard Primary Math and the US edition has to do with the Standards curriculum lining up with California standards and the US version does not. I haven't used the other primary programs so I"m sorry I can't be of any help with them.

We are doing New Elementary math for 7th grade next year and I've looked through the book and they do have some Algebra in there as well as Geometry. They kind of incorporate them all in. In the Primary 6A &6b (US version) that we used this year, they had many sections on Geometry. In fact we just finished an entire unit on Circles where they introduce pi and have them using formulas to find the circumference of a circle as well as it's area and then extrapolating that to find the same for semi circles and quarter circles. The word problems are a good primer for Algebra I think as well. They just have you use a system of "units" instead of x or some other variable. That's about all I know. Sorry. :) I'm sure many people will chime in here soon though with more information. :) Good luck to you. :)

And...does anyone use this with older grades? I noticed they don't have Algebra, Geometry, Trig, ect. Do they incorporate algebra and geometry each year? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Algebra, geometry, usually some trig and sometimes some calculus are studied as a single course up to about age 16, when O level exams (GCSEs in Britain) are taken.

Best wishes

Laura