Menu

TRISMS

Wildiris

I went back to the TRISMS site and from what I could glean, the whole thing is large note booking system, working through explores, inventions and scientists. The student fills out questionnaires, reads background material, works on maps and fills out worksheets.

Are there student samples? I see you use Hakim, how do you combine all of these resources and why do find this necessary?

Are you using this as the described unit study or do you just pull out elements you want to use and skip the IEW writing or search out other hist. fic.?

I like the k-12 history texts, but I'm having trouble finding a way to get DD to work more independently and I'd like to step away from being the engine that drives all of her learning. I'm looking for a guide to give more structure to her learning. I'd also like to incorporate Hakim's A History of US, and TRISMS seems like a good way to do this, but like I said in my orginal post it is a bit hard to get a handle on how TRISMS works.

Thanks for your response,

Personally, I would just like to hear more about it in general, what is it lacking that you feel the need to combine so many programs? Can it stand alone for history and LA? (who am I kidding, I would always add in extras anyway, lol) How do you feel about the IEW component? I didn’t want to use IEW, but it looks like it’s included? Is it too hard to finish in a year because of the endless rabbit trail possibilities?

I am only mildly curious because it’s something that looks interesting, but I have not heard a lot about it.

We have used Sonlight for a couple of years. I've reached a point where as much as I love the literature, I want more. Trisms was the first program I looked at because it's secular. I have HistoryMakers and am using it, but as a small part of of a 3-year history program for my youngest. I don't want to cover all of World History in one year, but at one point thought I might have to. Like MelissaB., I have other curriculum that I am combining it with to get exactly what I want. The sample on the website give you a fairly good idea of what the program looks like.

There used to be samples on the Trisms website. I haven't seen student samples anywhere else.

Mainly, I combine so many because I enjoy pulling together exactly what I am looking for. :D Trisms History Makers covers all of world history in one year (or two, if you use it over two years.) I use it over four years (4th-7th) along with all the other resources.

I think Trisms is a great program but it will only work well for a motivated student or a family that wants to cover history generally and not too deeply. It is very easy for a student to do very little research and just fill in the worksheets and be done. But for a motivated, interested or self-directed student the Trisms guides are a very nice resource and contain more information than can be done in one year.

Yes, the students do research, fill out worksheets, maps and questionaires. There are also science experiments (more historical science - not lab science,) vocabulary words, drawings, a timeline, read alouds, poetry, videos, historical fiction and biographies to read, independent research in a topic of interest and language arts assignments. There are also tests available.

There is almost no American history in Trisms. American history has to be done as part of the research. The HM guide gives suggestions each week for additional research and you will see items that pertain to American history in there, but because the focus is on explorers and scientists (and world history in general) there isn't any focus on American history. Since I use the guide over four years, I add in the American history as we go. If you are doing a one or two year world history - Hakim isn't really necessary.

I do all of the components except some of the language arts. I do the Trisms IEW supplement, but not the language arts assignments that are not specifically essay type writing. There is a grammar component and assignments on things like letter writing and public speaking, etc. I skip all of that. But again we only work through about ten weeks of material each year.

I think it is lacking in science and the grammar portion of the language arts is weak, but it can certainly stand alone in history and language arts if the student does well working independently or the parent is willing to put a good deal of time into 'helping the student along.'

Because I do it over four years, I add Hakim for the American history, Oak Meadow for the projects and History Odyssey for the outlining and because I really like the Story of Mankind (or anything by VanLoon) and HO sets it up so nicely for the student to read through SOM and continually improve on outlining skills. I also like the focus on people in HO. If I were only using Trisms for one or two years, I do not think it would need any supplements at all as long as you are focusing on science history rather than lab science (and unless you have a student that insists a unit is not finished without at least two hands on projects and the cooking of a meal. :001_rolleyes:)

It is very easy to just skip the language arts altogether - it is the history that is the backbone of the program, but if I were skipping the IEW writing supplement I would add in some additional essay type writing assignments rather than just the research for any student in 6th or above.

- Yes, I think it would be difficult to finish in one year!

HTH!

Melissa,

Did you get the IEW CD that came with Trisms and is it the American History-Based Source Texts?

Lisa,

No, I do not have that. Should I? :D

I have a workbook put out by Linda Thornhill that has a supplemental writing assignment for each lesson. It is very similar to the IEW theme based writing workbooks, but specific to Trisms HM.

There used to be samples on the Trisms website. I haven't seen student samples anywhere else.

Mainly, I combine so many because I enjoy pulling together exactly what I am looking for. :D Trisms History Makers covers all of world history in one year (or two, if you use it over two years.) I use it over four years (4th-7th) along with all the other resources.

Yes, the students do research, fill out worksheets, maps and questionaires. There are also science experiments (more historical science - not lab science,) vocabulary words, drawings, a timeline, read alouds, poetry, videos, historical fiction and biographies to read, independent research in a topic of interest and language arts assignments. There are also tests available.

I do all of the components except some of the language arts. I do the Trisms IEW supplement, but not the language arts assignments that are not specifically essay type writing. There is a grammar component and assignments on things like letter writing and public speaking, etc. I skip all of that. But again we only work through about ten weeks of material each year.

I think it is lacking in science and the grammar portion of the language arts is weak, but it can certainly stand alone in history and language arts if the student does well working independently or the parent is willing to put a good deal of time into 'helping the student along.'

It is very easy to just skip the language arts altogether - it is the history that is the backbone of the program, but if I were skipping the IEW writing supplement I would add in some additional essay type writing assignments rather than just the research for any student in 6th or above.

- Yes, I think it would be difficult to finish in one year!

HTH!

Wow, thank you for your detailed explanation. It's nice to hear from people who are using the program. I am getting a better understanding of how it works. I went to the website again and was able to pull up some samples that I had not seen before. This is now looking like a strong possibility for the upcoming years.

By the time we reach high school I hope that SWB has something pulled together, hopefully involving her new book, which sounds great. I need to get a copy.