Menu

Phonics List

mom31257

Does anyone know of a complete list of phonics? I would like something that includes all the beginning and ending blends, vowel digraphs, dipthongs, etc. I am putting together my own phonics and reading teaching for my first grader and want to make sure I cover everything.

Thanks so much!

Here's a basic list, but not everything, from the Reading Reform Foundation of the UK:

http://syntheticphonics.com/pdf%20files/phonics%20assessment%20sheet%201.pdf

And, strangely enough, I have most of my good chart links on my scrabble strategies page!

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/scrabblespelling.html

The best way to do a check is to do one line of each section of Blend Phonics, then go over the additional spelling rules and additional sound spelling patterns I've added in in my step by step guide to Blend Phonics and its associated spelling rules (these include some extra sound teachings, as does my guide)

The files are on this page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Linked from this paragraph:

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

You can work through it quickly with just a line or so of each unit, Blend Phonics is easily set up for a nice quick check of sounds. (Although, it does not teach everything, there are some extra blends not taught that are on the link from my scrabble page, and extra sounds in my guide and spelling rules.)

Does anyone know of a complete list of phonics? I would like something that includes all the beginning and ending blends, vowel digraphs, dipthongs, etc. I am putting together my own phonics and reading teaching for my first grader and want to make sure I cover everything.

Thanks so much!

You don't need to include beginning and ending blends in your list of phonograms, a phonogram being a group of letters that make one sound (my paraphrase). You may teach them later while working on reading, but I think they confuse the issue more than just teaching the true phonograms.

Or you could just order the phonogram cards from BHI and have all the information right there. I can tell you that just teaching the phonograms is a huge step in the reading foundation. I can't believe how well my dd5 is reading just from learning them. We have done very little other work.

Edited by HiddenJewel

You don't need to include beginning and ending blends as they are not true phonograms, a phonogram being a group of letters that make one sound (my paraphrase).

While you don't need to teach them separately, they should just blend together once you teach how it works in general, for some students with speech difficulties, it's good to check them all and make sure they can do all of them.

I also like having the list for Scrabble strategies! If you know which letters blend explicitly and closer to available memory when thinking about them, it is easier to do well at Scrabble.