Menu

How do you treat your yard for fleas?

I hate the whole pesticide thing. I don't like dealing with poisons. I have pets and children! We're trying something new for the dogs' flea problem, but the vet said, with the problems we're having (bad season here), we needed to treat the yard, too.

Any advice? Something not likely to harm the children?

I think we're going to try Borax for the carpeted areas. Isn't that pretty safe?

tia

I hate the whole pesticide thing. I don't like dealing with poisons. I have pets and children! We're trying something new for the dogs' flea problem, but the vet said, with the problems we're having (bad season here), we needed to treat the yard, too.

Any advice? Something not likely to harm the children?

I think we're going to try Borax for the carpeted areas. Isn't that pretty safe?

tia

We had to deal with a flea infestation twice and I tried going natural the first time, but broke down and ended up using a product called Flea Fix. The second time, we had an infant, and I really didn't want to use something highly toxic and did some research and felt alright using this product in our home. It's also something that can be used outdoors - you dilute it and spray it and it lasts up to 7 months. It interrupts the flea's life cycle, so they can't continue to reproduce. It worked very well for us.

We have always had flea problems in the past since we are in Florida and the summer months host the flea extravaganza. I used to use Frontline Plus and then when that stopped worked we switched to K9 Advantix. Eventually, that stopped working too - I didn't know this was possible, but it is apparently quite common.

We are now doing a combo of Sentinel and Comfortis. Comfortis is the once a month pill for fleas and Sentinel is the heartworm medicine/flea egg inhibitor. This has been the best ever for us. I have not seen a single flea on my dog at all. Yay!!!

By the way. For inside the house you need to be steam cleaning carpets/washing bedding at least once a week if you're having flea infestations. Vaccumming alone is not good enough. I've heard that diatomaceous earth can also be effective.

Good luck with this dreaded problem.

Christina

You can also dust the yard with sevin dust... but it will kill more than fleas (other bugs) not people... clarify. But, if they are bad... might be worth it.

We are getting a few in the house from the cats. Frontline is losing its effectiveness & I have to find another method of control. We have 2 acres & I can't do much about out of doors.

I feel for you. They are a nuissance and a half!

Frontline quit working for us too. From another board I am on I heard about Advocate and we're using that successfully now. I get it from here:

http://deadfleaz.com/Advocate-p-1-c-2.html

I'm sure sooner or later mine will become immune to that and we'll switch to Revolution or back to Frontline. I think the key is to rotate as soon as the effectiveness wears off...

For inside the house, I've been told salt works well (in the carpet, then vacuum after a couple of days), but I haven't tried it myself. We don't treat outside our house. We live on a farm, so outside is huge + I don't want chemicals around. I prefer to treat the animals.

Inside the home, get cheap night lights, put white plastic plates, or any type of white plate you have and put a mixture of water and tiny amount of dishwashing liquid. They say you can also bathe your dog in Dawn dishwashing liquid. Garlic & brewers yeast works great to supplement their diet with. You can find those wafers for the animals easily. Also this may sound a little strange to some, google "Green Hope Farm" give them a call and ask for "flee free" you simply put a few drops into the drinking water of your pets. Believe it or not that stuff works. They work on the honor system, they ship your order, when you get it mail them a check. They are wonderful people.

Be sure to keep floors mopped. Do not wear your white socks, the fleas love those.

Also herbal collars are available. I have found some natural stuff, that is placed on the back of the neck like frontline, it got bad reviews, so I would be careful.

Planting some plants will repel fleas.