Menu

? for Shurley users---

home4school

I bought Shurley English 6 used and the student book has been removed from the binding and stapled into the different sections. I like that its separated into the different sections, but I think I need something sturdier for my son. I can see him ripping those pages right off those staples!:lol:

I was looking thru the books trying to get an idea of how a lesson flows as far as looking to the reference section while doing a lesson. Would it be a good idea to have the practice and test sections put in one small comb-binding and the reference and jingle sections put in another? Or just put them all back together in one? I thought if you have to flip back and forth, having them in different books may be better.

Also, could two boys share the reference/jingle book if we do lessons together? If they could, I could just copy the pages my other son would need for the practice and tests.

Thanks!

Kim

I had the spines removed and had them hole-punched. I divided a three-ring binder into jingles, reference, practice, vocabulary, et c. I can't really remember all the tabs just now. It was really just putting tabbed dividers where the book naturally divided (but w/o tabs -- those just made it easier to turn quickly). I also added notebook paper to the vocab section so it was handy. I also had a couple of folders in the back for completed work and a separate one for completed vocab.

We do grammar every other year so we won't do it for 5th. When we get to 6th, we'll do it the same way. It was convenient, kept everything neat and together, and only one book had to be gotten (well, more if it was vocab day or something) when it was time.

I think it would be fairly easy to do as you suggest in sharing the reference and just copying the practice/tests but that's over half the book. One thing to consider is that sometimes students need to flip around looking back for help. Having one, mine didn't need to share but i assume it could be done easily enough. I think I would prefer each kid to have a complete binder with all of the above included for reasons of neatness/organization. However, I'm sure it would be easy enough to copy and make each boy his own binder and one to share for reference.

FWIW, we did not use the writing portion of Shurley.

Good luck!

I don't know about that. Last year was our first year and in discussing English with a friend who also uses Shurley, they seem almost identical from level to level. I haven't seen them though. Also, when I was considering Shurley, I asked for input and one woman suggested getting Level 6 to use with all grades six and below b/c "six has everything needed for that grade and below." Again, I haven't seen them so I can't say for myself.

Sorry I can't help more.

Kim, you might kind of look through it and see how you want to use it. I toss everything in Shurley except the sentence parsing. (Dd usually already knows the vocab, and the other exercises overlap things we do in other stuff.) So we don't even use that main workbook, the one with the reference material. We only use the Practice Workbook, which ironically enough, gem that it is, doesn't even come with the main Shurley set but is a separate purchase! That separate practice workbook I'm talking about is around $6 and has the sentences for parsing all typed out. You really want this no matter what, because it saves you a lot of hassle. So we do that, diagram one of them onto a whiteboard, and call it good. If the lesson is writing sentences from a list of parts, we do that, which I think is a very good activity. If it's vocab, I might mention the words orally and see if she knows how to spell them, then move on. With the conventions stuff, we usually do a few orally, just to see. But basically we skip all that stuff. It keeps our sessions short that way too.

So you might want to see how you're going to use it before you buy. Definitely look for that extra workbook that has the sentences.

Thanks! I'll pick up two of the practice books. I've heard there's not much retention with the vocab and actually have something else in mind, so we'll probably skip that, too.

What do you use for a diagramming reference? I'm not sure I would know how to diagram more complex sentences without some kind of help.

Kim :)

fwiw-the references change a bit from year to year. Even some of the jingles get additional info added. We only have through year 4 so far, but I was surprised when I realized that jingles had changed a bit!

I love the idea of creating a notebook out of it. The flipping back and forth drives me crazy! We label each section in our workbook with those post-it flags that are sort of plastic, not just the paper ones, and label the front and back of each flag with a single letter, like R for reference... It works ok. I am thinking I might laminate the references though.

I've also noticed that it helps if I look ahead to the test. I can draw items from the matching section of it to put on index cards with the term on the front and the definition on the back. We review these daily and talk about them as needed. It has helped us a lot to learn to apply and understand and not just do rote work. I'm getting better now at knowing when I need to do the same from new material introduced in the scripted portions of the TM.

hth!