Menu

Abeka or R&S for 2nd grade??

happyWImom

We are (I think) going to use HOD Beyond next year, and I like the history, science, etc... dd is reading well, so we're doing read alouds, but I wanted to still supplement with a reading and spelling program. A friend swears by Abeka, and I've seen the 2nd grade-looks good, but there seem to be a lot of components to it. I'm really impressed by the R&S spelling, and wondered if we should use their reading & spelling, or Abekas.

Much imput would be welcome!!!

We are (I think) going to use HOD Beyond next year, and I like the history, science, etc... dd is reading well, so we're doing read alouds, but I wanted to still supplement with a reading and spelling program. A friend swears by Abeka, and I've seen the 2nd grade-looks good, but there seem to be a lot of components to it. I'm really impressed by the R&S spelling, and wondered if we should use their reading & spelling, or Abekas.

Much imput would be welcome!!!

All of us swear by our favorite publisher. :)

Generally, I prefer R&S. It is equally as academically strong as ABeka but without the overkill factor. The TMs for most subjects (the revisions-- English and math--and the newer social studies/history and science) are *very* good and helpful. I like the overall, godly tone of R&S materials, too.

Second grade Spelling by Sound and Structure is very simple, which IMHO makes it more age-level appropriate. The intensity really picks up at 4th grade--not necessarily really difficult spelling lists, but very challenging activities.

I used Rod Staff English 2 three times now with my kids. I love it. I did it orally with all my children including the exercises (most of it).

I haven't seen Abeka 2 English but I did use Abeka 3 ENglish with one of my girls and I liked it too.

Both with do the job of teaching grammar very well.

I grew up on A beka and that is why I don't use it for my kids.:tongue_smilie:

It was overkill to my child's mind at the time. I remember associating God with A LOT of work. That is just me, so please do not think I dislike what A Beka provides, it just was not right for me personally.

I would vote for R&S but I would advise to go easy on the workbooks. There are a lot of them and they can get tedious too. I ditched the teacher books and used the readers and took copywork from them. Well, I referenced the readers a little to get the general flow of things. As long as most lessons were oral or on a marker board everyone was happy.:)