Menu

Honors vs. AP

Hi, so don't laugh at me or look down your nose at me :scared: I have graduated one son from h/s but have another entering his junior year who is more "academically motivated" LOL than the previous one. We are looking into the possibility of doing History and/or English at the Honors or AP level next year. What I understand, hopefully correctly, is that while honors is intensive high school level, AP is college level of a particular subject. While I can pretty easily adjust what we are doing to an honors level, I am wondering what the process is for declaring a course AP in homeschool...do you need a sign-off from College Board, or to use a particular course description or curriculum? (We use TOG). Thanks for bearing with me and for your wonderful wisdom!

While the College Board needs to sign off for you to designate your course as "AP", your student can take an AP exam without going through the audit process. I suggest that you read through the College Board's website for more information on course content, suggested texts, etc. You can tackle the course yourself or you could sign up your student through Pennsylvania Homeschoolers, Scholars Online, etc.

Searching through the archives on this board will yield a wealth of information! I would also stop at your library to examine an AP prep book for the course or courses that you are considering. This will give you an idea of the breadth of the material.

Best regards,

Jane

So, looking ahead (i have an 8th grader), can you submit your syllabus and texts, etc. to the College Board to get it "approved" to call it AP on your transcript? Our state requires nothing, but I want to know how to get AP designation for our upper level high school work (my son will take several exams, I expect and I expect to be teaching at that level). Since universities weight GPAs from HS transcripts for AP designation, can I do that?

So, looking ahead (i have an 8th grader), can you submit your syllabus and texts, etc. to the College Board to get it "approved" to call it AP on your transcript? Our state requires nothing, but I want to know how to get AP designation for our upper level high school work (my son will take several exams, I expect and I expect to be teaching at that level). Since universities weight GPAs from HS transcripts for AP designation, can I do that?

Yes, homeschoolers can submit syllabi and texts for approval. A number of traditional teachers have posted syllabi that have passed online, so you really do not need to reinvent the wheel. These syllabi will give you an idea of content and pace.

Regarding weighted GPAs: some universities may weight APs, some toss all weights. You really need to examine each college for their policy.

Good luck!

Thanks. We have already discoverd that our large state universities toss all weighting, but my alma mater and other private lacs seem to regard them.

You may want to check to see if that's true for homeschoolers. My impression is that most colleges don't give much, if any, weight to homeschool grades because of the subjective nature of an individual parent's decisions and evaluations--which is why so many like to see SAT II, AP, and cc courses for homeschooled students.