Menu

Latin Road to English Grammar

Mabeline

Does anyone have any experience with The Latin Road to English Grammar? It looks really good, except for sticker shock. Thanks for any info.:bigear:

I bought a used copy when kiddo was in 6th or 7th grade so I could check it out. Back then, she only offered Vol 1 & 2, and the verbals were on cassette (vol 3 makes it "high school level").

Kiddo was not in the right place to use it, so I switched to Analytical Grammar for his grammar instruction. Now it doesn't make sense to me to go back to it, KWIM? I decided to just use Wheelock's in high school instead.

So I have it just sitting on my shelf...

a

PS: back then, the program was just two, 3-ring binders of info, a bunch of flash cards, and cassettes. It is much "flashier" now.

Edited by asta

My son did all of Volume 1 and started on Volume 2 when he was 11 and 12. I liked it. It was easy enough if you applied yourself and took time to memorize. We did not do all the notetaking it suggest you do, but my son and I still learned it together with no prior experience in Latin. We quit because we felt like we should put his time into Spanish rather than a dead language. He learned a lot about roots and Latin in that time. I'd recommend it, but I see it listed used all the time for a fraction of the new cost.

HTH,

Monica

My dd just finished with it for 7th grade. (I just posted it on For Sale board).

We found it very thorough. Althought, the author recommends the parent do the lessons in advance, once we got started, I just opened the book and taught, and I don't have a Latin background. There is a lot of writing, as it uses a notebook approach (everything is copied down for a section of the notebook). This was fine for my dd, but you would probably have to modify that for a reluctant writer. I like that it followed a set routine for each lesson: (new vocab one day, grammar another day, word study, reading practice, then translation exercises.) My daughter learned very well with it. It's not a "fun & games" curriculum, but it gets the job done.

Louise

My two older boys used it for their first foray into Latin. They got completely lost at one point and we finally just dropped the program. Personally, I feel there are better programs out there at a fraction of the cost.

ETA: I just noticed the ages of your children, they are FAR too young for Latin Road. I would look into Lively Latin or maybe Latin's Not so Tough.

Edited by Melissa in CA

I just bought it for next year. I have not taught it, but I have watched some of the dvds and gone through the first several lessons. I like what I see, but again, I have not taught it. I agree with the other poster who said she got into the swing of things and didnt need to do advance work. It reminds me a bit of the learning curve for SWR -- a bit different than what I was used to doing. But, I do believe that like SWR, it will become fairly easy to implement.

The price threw me a bit too. But, I considered that we will doing both latin and an almost complete english program. As far as I can tell, I will only need to add writing. LRTG covers english grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, spelling, etc. as well as latin. For instance, this year for English I used:

Spelling Power 4th edition, Root Words, Winston Advanced, Language Lessons for the Secondary Child vol 1, Jump In, and CopyWork for Girls. Next year I plan on using LRTG and Writesmith Craftsman.

HTH

Yes, I agree they are too young. I will be starting with Song School Latin then Prima latina. I was just curious about Latin Road because someone had mentioned it to me and it looked really good, except for the price.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will keep this on my maybe list for the future, at least until something better comes along.;)