Menu

Paging Dr. Hive Mind

I haven't had a tetanus shot in well over 10 years.

I cut my finger on a piece of glass, while I was working in my garden. It's a shallow cut. It bled a great deal. I washed it with soap, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. LOL. But there's a little piece of dirt I can't get out of it. It's under the flap of skin.

I hate shots, and don't want one. But do I need one?

He's seen an actual tetanus infection twice in the last year, he so suggests a tetanus shot anytime someone is in his office and hasn't had one in 9-10 years. My last shot was 9 1/2 years ago, and he wanted me to get one when I was in for my well check in February. He told me that it's a horrible, horrible infection, and he's on a crusade to make sure that adults are protected.

I would not think that this particular would would be a problem. Tetanus is an anaerobic bactrium (this is why it is more likely to occur with a deep puncture). However, if you are behind on your booster then get one. You can't predict your next accident. I have been hiking in forests far from civilization and have stepped on old buried wire... what a way to end a hike!

If you have not had a tetanus booster in 10 years, you probably should get one within the next 72 hours. Dd stepped on a rusty nail (typical tetanus issue.) Since it was a holiday weekend, they told us to get in within 72 hours, since she never got the last dose of her immunizations (we were doing a relaxed schedule and missed an appointment and it fell off the to-do list.)