Menu

Around the World in 80 Days; Whole Story and Jim Dale's Audio

Penny

I have been reading aloud to my kids (11 yrs) the Whole Story series of Around the World in 80 Days and it has been challenging but so worth it. The vocabulary in particular has set this book apart from our usual read alouds. I have developed (using Flash My Brain) over 130 or so vocabulary cards for the text, and our vocabulary has skyrocketed. (As an aside, the cards can be shared on Flash My Brain for anyone interested. They contain the words, then the sentence the words are used in, with the definition on the back. These represent quite a bit of work!)

After reading the story and drilling those flash cards, I bought the Jim Dale 'unabridged' audio. Guess what?? All those difficult vocab words have been replaced in the audio with a dumbed down version!!!!! I bought the audio to listen and review the words in context.

I am extremely disappointed. Evidently the word unabridged does not mean what I think it does. Better add it to to the flash card set.

How disappointing. Thanks for the heads-up.

Is the story the same on the audio other than the vocabulary changes? I love Jim Dale and had considered that audio version for our "summer fun" geography unit on that book.

Sounds like we need to just read it aloud.:confused:

BTW, I've never heard of Flash My Brain but your vocab cards sound great!! How can I get more info?

You realize it's a translation, right? The book was originally written in French, and the Whole Story uses a different translation (maybe William Butcher?) while the Jim Dale edition uses a translation by Michael Glencross.

So the choice in wording isn't so much Verne (who was writing in French, which has a far smaller vocabulary than English) as the translator.

No, I didn't realize it is a translation! So that's it. Well, if one really wants to improve their vocabulary, choose The Whole Story version and get ready to work! I had to pre-read and have definitions ready before reading to the kids. It's funny though, the wording is almost identical, except the tough vocab words are left out.

Flash My Brain is software for making and playing games with flash cards. It is really worth it. I use it for Latin and Vocab, and it has been wonderful.http://flashmybrain.com/

I have all of Unit 1 Cambridge Latin on it (each verb with 4 principle parts, and each noun in standard dictionary form) and am beginning Latin Prep Book 2 words. I also have vocab words for Witch of Blackbird Pond and Mocassin Trail and quite a few others and am so willing to share the hard work if anyone needs these.

Penny