Menu

wildlife services & vultures

At the moment I am extremely angry. I have had enough of these vultures, so I thought I was doing the right thing by calling wildlife services. The laws concerning them is outrageous. You can hit and kill one on the road with your car, and it is ok. You can kill one in your yard to protect your children, and your pets, and you will be slapped with a fine. How big of a fine? Who knows? The health safety and well being of your children is not important more protecting these birds is. I can get a permit to kill one bird for $100. What good is that you sill have 6-8 others left!? If they remove the birds, I have to pay them by the hour plus travel time. It did not seem to matter that they killed my hens, harass my dog, frighten my cat, frighten my kids, nothing seems to matter, only they are protected. After speaking to wildlife services I am sick to my stomach.

animals have more rights than people! Here are some things I found...but I am sure you have tried most of them.

Vultures roosting on or immediately above houses and buildings:

The best way to discourage vultures is to create an inhospitable environment. Before you resort to expensive or otherwise difficult measures, try simple deterrents. The following suggestions are listed in order of expense/ease, not necessarily effectiveness.:

1) Shake the trees

After the vultures have settled into their night roost at dusk, go out and shake the trees they are roosting in. Disturbing their comfort on a regular basis may encourage them to move elsewhere.

2) Make noise

Frequently run outside, clapping and shouting, or set off firecrackers throughout the week (if legal in your area).

3) Hang shiny, fluttery objects in the roost to frighten them away.

If you wish to try this, but the trees are too high, one way is to tie the objects (such as CD's) to helium balloons, and release them into the trees where they will catch.

Note: This can backfire if your vultures are too curious and playful, as they have been known to be. After a while, the vultures may discover that the objects pose them no risk, at which point they will instead become fun toys. So it is best to initially accompany this tactic with noise or blasts from a garden hose, and to be careful not to hang these items somewhere that you would find to be a particularly undesirable secondary vulture roost.

4) Ordinary sprinkler systems (the kind that squirt high-powered jets of water)

If you can get a sprinkler jet to reach into the middle of the roost, and turn it on whenever they look like they are making themselves comfortable, you may find success.

5) Taut Lines

Vultures roosting on peaked roofs, rafters, and radio towers can be eliminated with the installation of a taut line. Wire or fishing line, stretched tightly 6 to 8 inches above the perching surface will make it difficult for the birds to land or perch comfortably. The line must be tight enought that the birds cannot weigh it down, and high enough that they cannot straddle it.

6) The SCARECROW

This is no ordinary scarecrow. It is a motion-activated sprinkler maufactured by Contech. It is the BEST means we have tested that has successfully deterred long-term problem vulture roosting. (For more information on SCARECROW, read the article printed at the bottom of the page)

Steve Kohl reports that a motion-activated sprinkler system seems to be very successful in deterring vultures from rooftop roosting.

This product, marketed as a deterrent for yard-invading animals, can be mounted on a rooftop with a simple bracket system. As Kohl reports, "if you can seal the connections properly, leakage doesn't occur."

One company that markets this product is Contech. They call the product "Scarecrow." As soon as Kohlmoos installed his "Scarecrow," his vultures disappeared. At last report, he had not seen them for 6 weeks.

You can visit Contech on the web at http://www.biconet.com/critter/sprinkler.html

At the moment I am extremely angry. I have had enough of these vultures, so I thought I was doing the right thing by calling wildlife services. The laws concerning them is outrageous. You can hit and kill one on the road with your car, and it is ok. You can kill one in your yard to protect your children, and your pets, and you will be slapped with a fine. How big of a fine? Who knows? The health safety and well being of your children is not important more protecting these birds is. I can get a permit to kill one bird for $100. What good is that you sill have 6-8 others left!? If they remove the birds, I have to pay them by the hour plus travel time. It did not seem to matter that they killed my hens, harass my dog, frighten my cat, frighten my kids, nothing seems to matter, only they are protected. After speaking to wildlife services I am sick to my stomach.

I'm very sorry to hear this. That is why I posted the article to the local problem in our area. Contact your local media. Contact your Congressman and senators since this is a federal agency. Get the publicity out now before you lose your home to the vultures. Contact people who have had the same trouble with the wildlife services over vultures. It seems no matter which way you go, you have to pay for the vultures.

Louise

Sadly, it is always better to handle these things quietly and in the "still of the night". We are ruled by fools... but we keep electing them and animal protection laws seem so FAIR until you can't use your own property b/c of a rat or bird.

I think the suggestions for disturbing their habitat is the best idea. Be discreet & don't tell the world what you do either. Funny - they don' t mind moving the birds but want $$ out the wazoo.... really isn't about the birds is it? Scam artists.

President Bush pardoned a guy who was trying to get rid of some predators or nuissance animals, but he poisoned a carcus and more than his target died. The left wing animal rights laws nearly destroyed the man. He made a mistake, but didn't deserve to lose his reputation and almost everything for which he had worked. Don't use poison b/c you can't control it.

Close off that barn, cut on some sprinklers (& others) and be persistent. It may take a while.

Edited by Dirtroad

These things walk around the yard during the day. They are not that afraid of us. You can make noise sometimes and they don't even do anything. They will not fly away unless you are within 10 feet. If they do they go to a tree and just sit there and look. Regular target practice does not even phase them. These vultures have no plans to go anywhere, they are comfortable here. yes, we have tried many things to drive them away. I know some people who have taken matters into their own hands. They told me that you had to aim for their head, otherwise they would not die. That suprised me. I was thinking to invite that person over for breakfast.