Menu

How easy is it to transition to Classical Writing from another program?

Kris in Wis

My ds will be entering grade 7. He's an OK writer, but I wanted to go with something a little more detailed now that he's in middle school. I've looked at Classical Writing and like it, and want to start him in Diogenes: Maxim (the earlier programs look like they will repeat a lot of what he's already done).

My question is, will it be too difficult to transition from another, non-classical writing program to this one? Anyone had any experience starting in the middle like this?

He has had Abeka grammar for several years, and his understanding of sentence structure and usage is very good. He's also extremely good at diagramming a sentence (don't know where he got that from! :001_smile:)

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with Classical Writing, preferably soon before I place my order. Thanks very much in advance!

We started CW with my 5th grade son late last year after suffering through several years of "modern" writing programs. He had no trouble at all with the transition; in fact, he seemed to thrive with the structure and direction provided by CW.

We covered the material in Aesop in 6 weeks with ease. My plan is to cover the material in Homer during this next year (his 6th grade year). I am not using the workbooks because I knew that I would not be able to set our desired pace with them.

I would carefully read the authors' recommendations about where to start a 7th grader. They strongly suggest starting with the Older Beginners workbook. Then move into Diogenes. Take a look at their website...

http://home.att.net/~classicalwriting/Placement.htm

You might also ask the authors directly on their message board...

http://lene.proboards.com/index.cgi?

HTH!

Jetta