Menu

HWT cursive success for 3rd grader?

workingmom

Ds (7yo 2nd grader) is finishing up Cursive Handwriting book this summer and I'm ordering the next book for next year. But its Cursive Success and the site has it labelled for fourth grade. I'm just worried that the lines may be too thin. Anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone have both cursive books that they could compare the pages. The site only gives the first few pages of the book which seem similar in font size (but I'm not sure if they switch over).

Also should I have him continue to print after he learns cursive? Right now we do printing for most things, however he always wants to do everything in cursive (but since we haven't completed all the letter in the book) I really try to impose printing. Do your third graders exclusively do cursive? This is coming from someone who although I know how to do cursive I almost always print everything,always have since highschool.

Should we do periodic copywork in print once we're in the next cursive book or is there no need.

Thanks

My son did Cursive Success at the beginning of second grade. We quickly went through it in a couple of weeks. He did the previous book at the end of first grade.

I found that the smaller lines made his work neater and he had better success with the smaller lines.

I ask him to do all his work in cursive except spelling. Constant practice in my mind makes for more automatic flow of the pen(cil).

I like to do journals/extra writing practice. Should I order the regular lines first or did your kids just transition to the spiral bound notebooks. I saw them today and actually the standard wide rule is larger (wider) than the regular double line of HWT I almost considered buying the college ruled paper but wasn't sure if he would think he'd need to skip lines in between sentences or just have the tall letters go into the lines above.

My son is still using up HWT narrow paper, another several reams of a similarly lined paper that has a blank part at the top and college-lined spiral notebooks.

If your son wants to skip lines on the college-lined paper, let him do that for a while until he builds more confidence and gets more of his own style to shine through. My son has his own style coming out and he does make his letters taller and thinner than the original HWT script. It takes them a while to find their hand and if skipping lines makes it easier on the eye and hand for them, why not?