Menu

using 2nd ed WTM rec's for science for logic stage questions...

We have done a mish-mash of things over the past few years for science...My World Science, Home Science Adventures, Abeka...I am planning to use all those lovely Reader's Digest science books for 7th and 8th grade science a la WTM...kinda'.

We would like to actually combine 5th/6th grade topics for 7th and combine 7th/8th grade topics for 8th...we don't like doing one discipline per year, we like mixing things up a bit. My ds prefers covering different topics rather than doing the same topic for a whole school year.

I am looking for suggestions on how to schedule this. We might actually do science every day rather 2x/week. My ds LOVES science, especially animals, plants, human, earth science...the chemistry and physical sciences---not so much. So, I thought this would give him one more pass through his favorites before his awe of the living world diminishes and then take on the harder stuff for 8th.

If anyone has attempted this, I'd love to hear from you. I guess I'm looking for a schedule or at least a jumping off point for scheduling. Should we just move through the book each day reading a 2-page spread, writing a brief summary or outline and doing the experiment if it is of interest and maybe doing extra reading if ds finds the topic REALLY great?

He will be a young-ish 7th grader...turns 12 in July.

All suggestions appreciated!

Robin

what I did was this;

each we did one to two experiments per chapter, and read more information about the subject covered in Kingfisher science encyclopedia.

eg. for the book how the body works, in the chapter on the body surface pg31-41, we looked at skin under a magnifying glass, measured the thickness of hair of everyone in the family under the microscope , wrote up the experiments, the next science day we wrote a paragraph about skin, and copied the diagram on pg 34.

the following week we moved to the next chapter.