Menu

Is R&S grammar hard to teach at levels above the 4th?

Mommy7

I have that level and so that is the only one I am familiar with. I am trying to think into the future with this. I did fine teaching the 4th level. Are the other levels similar? I've read posts where some say their child started having a hard time with it around the 6th grade. Wonder how the teacher fared? I am re-learning all this stuff with my children. I don't remember most of it from my school days. So, I'm pretty curriculum and teacher's note dependent!

I've also read that some use the 7th and 8th grade for high school. Is it really that difficult? :confused:

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm considering using it with my son, who finds grammar difficult anyway. Is this a bad choice for us or would it help to solidify the concepts for him? I would plan to do a lot orally, btw. He would hate writing all that stuff out!!! Because my son finds grammar difficult anyway, should I consider starting him in Level 3??? The thing is, he'll be 11 in the fall, so I kind of hate to do that. We are finishing up Shurley 3. But, I'm not sure how much he has actually gotten out of it. I'm going to orally evaluate him today.

Edited by Mommy7

I didn't find it hard to teach at all. As far as High School it is not that it is that "difficult" it is just that thorough and complete. It is a great very thorough program, I found the teachers books very easy to use, and they tell you everything you need to know to help the students.

How old is your son?

I found with my oldest that jumping in, after public school, with level 6 was very hard. But with my youngest, who started with grade 3 R & S, it has been very gentle. If I could do it over, I would have had my oldest start with 5.

I find it very easy to teach.

Nicole M, my son is 10, but will be 11 in the fall. We have been doing Shurley level 3 this year.

So, I was thinking if I switched him, I would do 4th grade. Does that sound right? I'm basing that more on coming out of Shurley 3 than his actual age.

I have used R&S grammar levels 3-6 for two children. I don't find it difficult to teach--in fact, I would say that for levels 3-5 my children have been able to do quite a bit of it on their own. I really never used the teacher's manual until this year--some of level 6 is tricky for me! That being said, I *wish* I had paid more attention to the teacher's manuals before. They have some great explanations and exercises in them.

Even if your son is shaky in grammar, I wouldn't go all the way back to level 3. Since you already have level 4, you could try him on that and see how he does. If you compare the books side by side (at least the levels I have), they basically have the same material covered in the same chapters from year to year--the depth of coverage just changes.

As for how difficult the later levels are--I have done some "hanging out" on the high school board, and there are some people there who suggest dropping the formal study of grammar after 8th grade. At this point, I am thinking of doing the same thing. R&S is a *very* thorough program, and I think the foundation we will get by 8th grade will be plenty. We will spend the high school years focusing more on writing. Of course, that is all subject to change in the future!

I love R&S Grammar, but it is hard for me to teach, even with the wonderful teacher's books. I agree with starting your ds in the 4th level, since you have it. My dd just turned 12 and was working in Level 5 this year. Grammar is hard for her, and I never learned it well, so we struggled some. We are doing something different with her next year, to get a different approach and a stronger base, but I may return to R&S if she catches on and does well.

I just finished using Shurley Level 3 and I *was* planning on going on to level 4, but I also own R&S Grammar 4 and would like to try that out on the kiddos at some point. Thanks to all for your responses and to mommy7 for posting this question.:D

I didn't find levels 5 or 6 difficult to teach. Although after also teaching levels 3 and 4 and then level 6 last year, my eyes were crossing and my head was spinning - :lol: There were a few lessons in level 6 that we had to re-read a few times before they really sunk in, but that was towards the end of the year when we were doing a few lessons a day so we could just get finished with school :)