Menu

Has anyone had a problem with SOTW CDs?

I just bought SOTW 2 from the sale/swap board and played discs one and two today. The last track of both discs is messed up. It sounds like several tracks playing at the same time. Has anyone ever had this problem before? There are no scratches anywhere (these are brand-new still in shrink wrap...the original buyer had never opened them). More discs could be messed up, I haven't tried them yet. Does anyone know if there's a way to replace the discs? :(

I don't know how to fix it, but I have known several people who have just borrowed a disc from someone else and made a copy. They did it in good conscience because they had actually purchased it first. Not sure if it's really legal or not, but what else can you do????

-Angie

I had purchased SOTW 1 on CD, and found that I only had two copies of discs 1-4. I emailed Peacehill Press about it, and they sent me replacements for 5-7(I think there were 7 discs in that set, anyway they sent me the ones that I didn't have) free of charge.

I would first try them on a different CD player to confirm that it's the CDs and not the player that's at fault. Then I would contact the publisher. If the CDs are defective, they will most likely replace them for you without charge.

Also try cleaning the disc. I often have this problem with discs from the library. Use windex or something similar and carefully wipe the playing side.

Another trick, if this happens with other CDs, is to use a cleaner for the laser whatchadoodie. I'm blanking on the name. (Is word memory loss an official symptom of perimenopause? Because it should be.) I think it's a disc you can put into your player and it cleans the apparatus that actually plays your CD.

A final thing to consider is that some newer CDs will not play on older players and vice versa. I think it has to do with recording speed or somesuch. So trying a different player is a good idea.

But the problem is most likey scratches or smudges on the actual CD.