Menu

sandwich s/o: chicken salad..

There are so many ways to make chicken salad. I've had recipes that include mandarin oranges and grapes and they were good. I wasn't sure at first, either. I love nuts in my ckn salad, especially toasted almonds. But, my favorite, and very simple recipe, is to chop up cooked chicken (I guess you can use canned, I just haven't). Then I mix mayo and sesame oil together and add that to the chopped chicken. Mix in salt, pepper, chopped celery, toasted sliced almonds and your good to go. Mmm.

I don' t have a processor either. I cook chicken in a crock pot with garlic, orange juice & a bit of Moores (or Dales) marinade. The crock pot makes the chicken more tender.

I then break the chicken up with my fingers. It shreds very easily. I add mayo to taste, salt, and a little lemon-pepper. I often chop up a bit of celery or add a bit of sweet relish (if no celery). That is my basic mix.

My favorite recipe is to add several hand fulls of grapes (seedless) and 1/3 cup of sugar coated almonds. It is divine!!!

My all time favorite - it's the Neimann Marcus chicken salad.

cooked chopped chicken

finely diced celery

mayonnaise (NOT MIRACLE WHIP)

lemon juice (to taste)

salt and pepper

Sometimes I add pecans just because I like the crunch.

Super easy, delicious, very light.

The last time I made it I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which I boiled until done. Drain, cool & dice. (or be impatient, dice while hot & burn your fingers :) ) I referred to this recipe http://hiddenvalley.com/recipes/view_recipe.php?recipe_id=247 but left out the celery, pecans & onions. I used chicken, ranch dressing, mustard (might leave it out next time) and red grapes.

I am not sure I could handle fruit or nuts in my chicken salad though.

I know what you mean. I still don't like nuts in chicken salad, so I leave that out. I never would have wanted fruit either, but someone I know brings chicken salad w/grapes to gatherings, and the first couple of times I picked out the grapes. Then I decided to leave them in once, and I really liked it.

I don't care for fruit or nuts in my chicken salad, either.

I usually use leftover roast chicken breasts (I throw a couple exta in when making chicken just for sandwiches, chicken and dumplings, chicken tacos, etc). I chop it up, add some onions, finely diced celery, salt, pepper, mayo and a little dijon mustard.