Menu

Vegetarian lunch ideas for camp

Trying to figure out some vegetarian lunch ideas for dd. She will be at a day camp all next week.

She and I just started eating lacto-vegetarian about 2 months ago and we are still trying to figure out good lunch meals.

She loves most veggies, except avocados and tomatoes

So far I am thinking of packing

cheese and crackers, yogurt, some raw veggies and fruit.

Nuts and peanut butter crackers for snack

I know she is going to be tired of eating the same things all week long.

any ideas?

Thanks!

My daughter will be at violin camp all next week. She'll be taking

monday -- sandwich and chips, fruit, water.

tuesday -- Annies All stars (think spaghetti-os) with spinach (I heat the annies and spinach in the microwave and send it hot, she eats it at about room temp. Also Cheese, fruit and crackers.

Wednesday -- Dolma, a chunk of feta and some cherry tomatoes and crackers.

Thursday -- sandwich, chips, fruit

Friday -- All Stars and spinach, crackers, fruit, cheese.

These are kind of big lunches b/c I think they'll probaby have a snack later. I know my daughter will want one, anyway.

tortilla rolled up w/ anything like cheese & veggies, pb&j, pb&banana, vegetarian refried beans w/ cheese & veggies (if she'll have access to a microwave & can do a quick heating for it)

grain or raisin bread w/ cream cheese & sunflowers

salad

crackers w/ little toppings -- cream cheese w/ radish pieces (yum), sliced grape tomatoes, sliced pickles, sliced boiled egg (if she eats eggs), slices of green or red pepper, cucumber slices, etc...

applesauce or apple slices w/ pb for dipping

fruit salad (cut up a bunch of different fruits & pour some oj over it -- usually 1 apple, 1 banana, some grapes, etc...)

vegetarian chili (again, if a microwave is available)

granola

cereal, banana, thermos of milk, spoon & a bowl for combining it all

cold pasta salad

hummus w/ a pita

Thanks!

I will have to look for the Annies. where do you find it?

My daughter will be at violin camp all next week. She'll be taking

monday -- sandwich and chips, fruit, water.

tuesday -- Annies All stars (think spaghetti-os) with spinach (I heat the annies and spinach in the microwave and send it hot, she eats it at about room temp. Also Cheese, fruit and crackers.

Wednesday -- Dolma, a chunk of feta and some cherry tomatoes and crackers.

Thursday -- sandwich, chips, fruit

Friday -- All Stars and spinach, crackers, fruit, cheese.

These are kind of big lunches b/c I think they'll probaby have a snack later. I know my daughter will want one, anyway.

Thanks!

Annies is available at both our regular store and the health food store. They have ravioli, all stars, something with "meatballs" which my daughter thinks is disgusting.

Sandwiches

She's taking meat and cheese this week. Tofurkey makes a "roasted turkey" sliced sandwich meat that she likes. She also likes morningstar farms grillers, tofu salad (think egg salad), tomato and mayo (we use veganaise), grilled cheese.

To be honest, we don't often have sandwiches unless it's fresh-from-the-garden tomato sandwich time. We're just not big fans. We find them easy to take for camp, et c. though.

Annies is available at both our regular store and the health food store. They have ravioli, all stars, something with "meatballs" which my daughter thinks is disgusting.

Sandwiches

She's taking meat and cheese this week. Tofurkey makes a "roasted turkey" sliced sandwich meat that she likes. She also likes morningstar farms grillers, tofu salad (think egg salad), tomato and mayo (we use veganaise), grilled cheese.

To be honest, we don't often have sandwiches unless it's fresh-from-the-garden tomato sandwich time. We're just not big fans. We find them easy to take for camp, et c. though.

Oh, I just wanted to add . . . the Annie's stuff has the Arthur cartoon character on them. All stars doesn't have a character, I don't think, but the Os are Arthur-Os, and there are several others. That might make it easier to find.

http://blog.vegcooking.com/2008/09/top_10_vegetarian_lunchbox_ide.php

http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-children/lunch-ideas.htm

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Lunchbasket-Low-Fat-Nutritious-Quality-Conscious/dp/157731087X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244472473&sr=8-1

Links #2 and 3 are vegan, but that is just as good !

Whatever else you do -- and please, I'm saying this ONLY because I care about all children and do not want to stay quiet when possibly I might be able to spare a young girl what my daughter has gone through. PLEASE do NOT feed your daughters soy products in an attempt to "boost protein" or whatever. No soymilk, no soy "analogs" (fake meats, burger "crumbles", and so forth). I am not one of the "rabid, crazy health nuts", relying on "quack science". It is a fact that soy exerts an estrogenic effect. My dd (now 10 yrs) went straight into puberty when barely 8 years old. She is under the care of a pediatric endocrinologist for the condition of "precocious puberty." The doctor immediately agreed that the culprit, in our case, was soy.

Edited by Orthodox6

I'm not sure how strict of a diet you follow, but I wanted to make you aware (just in case) that most of your store-bought yogurts contain gelatin, which is definitely not vegetarian.

My two dd's have been vegetarians all of their lives and I adapted the diet as a teen. You wouldn't believe how many items contain gelatin :blink:. I always check the ingredient label before buying a new food item that I haven't tried. Rennet is something else you might want to look out for. Again, depending on how strict your diet is.

how about pasta salads?

you could do one with grilled veggies and cheese, one with beans and veggies.

black beans, rice and mango is great at room temp. (fresh from the vegetarian slowcooker has the best recipe)...

any rice bean combo- brown rice with garbanzo, roasted red peppers and anything else, sun-dried tomato & fresh mozzerella.

brown rice, fresh spinach or other salad greens with some beans and a drssing of fresh ginger, sesame oil, fresh garlic and brown rice vinegar.

hows that?

good for you to support her!

Thanks!

i get my annies products on amazon- use subscribe & save for 15% off and amazon prime for free shipping.

we are using disposable diapers for #2 now & i buy them this way too!

hth

robyn

If you ever want to defeat members of a Scavenger Hunt, ask for a marshmallow which contains neither gelatin nor corn syrup ! (I'm still hunting, myself ! . . .)

I'm not sure how strict of a diet you follow, but I wanted to make you aware (just in case) that most of your store-bought yogurts contain gelatin, which is definitely not vegetarian.

My two dd's have been vegetarians all of their lives and I adapted the diet as a teen. You wouldn't believe how many items contain gelatin :blink:. I always check the ingredient label before buying a new food item that I haven't tried. Rennet is something else you might want to look out for. Again, depending on how strict your diet is.