Menu

Where should we start with R&S English?

Danestress

My boys are 11, finishing 5th grade. They have had little formal grammar. We did Easy Grammar in 4th grade but not all of it. We have done a Daily Gram every day for three years, so they understand your basic elementary rules of capitalization and punctuation as well as their basic grammar. They have completed the first year of Henle (not the whole book, but the first year as Memorial Press schedules it, meaning units 1 and 2).

Given that information, you would place them in 5th grade R&S or would you go back further the 4th or up to 6th. I have looked at the table of contents, but it's hard to really know.

The thing I like about R&S is that new material is starred in the TE. This won't help you the first year but it will in subsequent years. So if you start in the 5th grade book, you can go faster in the 6th grade book if you need to.

Junior Analytical Grammar is a nice intro to grammar. I think if you do JAG first, you could go into R&S 6. JAG is a short program.

We started in R&S 6 this year for my son (I started hs'ing for the first time ever half way through this past year) and he has done perfectly fine with it. I really don't know exactly how much grammar instruction he has had in the past years. I know that he has learned a lot this year using this book and that he had already known some of the stuff in it as well. I think that it really does a good job of explaining things. I think your son's would be ok with 6 since they have had some instruction already.