Menu

MFW K for preschool??

I have decided on our preschool curriculum for my soon to be ds4. He is going to be a young preschooler, so I want to keep things simple. We will be doing HWOT and I know that he will love it. On top of that, I also have the R&S preschool books to keep him busy while I do school with the older kids.

My dilemma now lies in using MFW K. I have this program (used half of it for my ds when he was in K), and I really like it. Although we dropped it half way through my ds's K year because it became too repetitive and boring for him, I think it would be wonderful to use it for my preschooler.

Has anyone used this for a preschooler before? I am thinking that I would omit all the handwriting practice (since we'll be doing HWOT) and try to keep it as simple as possible.

I would love to hear how anyone else used this program for prek!

Thanks,

Liz in NC

I going to do MFW K with my 4yod ds this fall. I read on the MFW forum that many people use it with their 4yod's. My ds can draw very well and can blend sounds, so I think it will be perfect for him.

His older sis is going to be joining in the unit studies lessons and calendar with him. I'm trying to combine as much as possible.

I know this doesn't answer you question, but I will be joining you!:D

Edited by Tabrett

One idea to consider:

Use the tactile handwriting things in MFW K even if you use HWOT for main instruction in print.

Newer edition of HWT include a little bit of "3 line practice" (not much, just a little), so it might be ok to practice with the handwriting pages in MFW K too.?

-crystal

So do you shorten or split up the amount of daily time required? I remember it taking about 1 to 1.5 hours to do the lesson. With older kids needing me around, I'm not sure if I can pull off doing 1.5 straight hours. (This was never a problem before!).

Just wondering how you all schedule the time with other kids doing school as well. (I'll have a newborn in August, plus a 2nd grader, K/1st, and 2 year old):w00t:.

Liz in NC